• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Original 4E Monsters

keterys

First Post
The biggest rule at this point is that I compare to the stats from the monster manual pages first, followed by the Escape from Sembia and Scalegloom Hall minis. I largely don't compare to the DDM stats.

Hit points follow a formula. If I need to up stats and I can't compare to other monsters, I figure .75 per level is reasonable for AC, defenses, etc. Damage goes up quite slowly.

Solos need enough things to keep them interesting for multiple opponents over many rounds. Elites less so. Normal mobs should be obvious how to play with maybe two real options on any round at most. I also have a habit of not varying dice or bonuses too much within a particular monster. Makes the DM's job easier.

I expect to have to do very significant amounts of revision as we get more rules, but if I can at least get things to the +/- 2 area, that'd be awesome.

Aside: It keeps amusing me how my really old ideas were somewhat on track. They just announced a template to make a monster normal from elite that gives it +2 to ac, attacks, defenses, +50% damage, +50% hit points... and that's _really_ close to what my original spreadsheet from october had.

keterys

First Post
Added:
Frosthammer (2 Brute)

Wanted to try out a 'Glassjaw' effect - he does pretty solid damage so if you can use an encounter (or AoE daily) to take him out early, it's a good advantage.

Dungeon Blaster - Thanks :)

Wiman

First Post
Absolutey perfect, I think we could have more people on the minion bandwagon if it was done in much the same way (I am a strong game over reality supporter but still as much as I love minions I still find the occasional "Kobold Minion dying practicing with wood practice spear or stubbing toe" joke funny.)

ie.

Kobold Minion 8 hp, is defeated by a strike that does 3 or more damage.

The Frost Hammer and Earthen Defender will be fighting it out for years to come in my campaign world.....I think right at the line that a giant glacier is plowing into a mountain range.

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
Added:
Vampiric Bat (8 Elite Skirmisher)

I think minions are 'one hit wonders' so that the DM doesn't have to keep track of their hit points. Definitely gamey and not realistic, but there ya go.

keterys

First Post
Yep, though I make no guarantees. Now that I'm running a pseudo 4E game I keep making monsters to use in it, too :) (like that bat)

keterys

First Post
Man I wish I could paint as well as those Reaper guys. They really put up some drool-worthy stuff. Anyhow, good picks. I'll have to think some on the dragon.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Can I call dibs on the Dark Maiden write-up? I've got a vision...

A woman killed for stowing away aboard a ship by being mast-headed (strapped to the bow of a ship) in cold climate and dying from exposure. Her spirit stays with the ship, haunting it until the crew go mad and wreck the ship, then she wreaks righteous vengeance against all sailors with her spirit-swords, walking across the sea. The ruined prow the the ship she died on still strapped to her back...

Fitz

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads