• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"original" campaign worlds?

Erebus Red said:

fusangite – sounds like an interesting mix! But as your setting is 1247, which is pre-Joseph Smith and post Moroni, what are you taking from Mormonism?
I assumed he had it set with what happened to the last of the laminites, after all the nephites were gone. THough I would love to hear More on how he handled the other visitors to the continent before columbus, it sounds like some thing I may have to look into.
ken

Someone

Adventurer
Well, mine has a ancient middle east feel, grey morals, people are anthropomorphic (thanks, Dictionary.com) animals, technology level is totally different (alchemy is better developed, but not so metallurgy) and gods are actually very powerful people (the god of Nalai is a 19th level fighter)

fusangite

First Post
Erebus Red says

fusangite – sounds like an interesting mix! But as your setting is 1247, which is pre-Joseph Smith and post Moroni, what are you taking from Mormonism?

Joseph Elric Smith says

I assumed he had it set with what happened to the last of the laminites, after all the nephites were gone. THough I would love to hear More on how he handled the other visitors to the continent before columbus, it sounds like some thing I may have to look into.

Wow! Thanks for the interest. This is a somewhat long and involved explanation:

My first campaign was basically set atop four pillars:
1. Celtic mythology and stories about trips to other "worlds." Key materials for me were The Spoils of Annwfn and the Legend of Saint Brendan the Brendan the Voyageur. Also important were the tales of Mael Duin. The Brendan and Mael Duin stories basically treat the islands of the Atlantic Ocean like a Dr. Who/Star Trek universe -- an infinite number of islands stretching to the West; on each island/world is a problem that needs to be solved or a test that needs to be passed. The Spoils of Annwfn is considered by some to prefigure the Grail story; it is a pagan story of Arthur and his Knights journeying to Annwfn on a quest to obtain the Black Cauldron. In their quest, they pass through 7 cities: The City of Trees, City of the Sea, City of Riches, City of Frustration, City of Celebration, City of Four Sides and the City of Glass.
2. Early Eurasian Conceptions of the Land to the West. In addition to the Celtic material, I drew from some pre-Columbian and 16th century materials. In particular, I looked at the Chinese stories of Fusang (the land east of Kamchatka discovered by Buddhist monks in 485 AD); de Soto's and other Spanish conquistadors' myths of El Dorado and the Seven Cities of Cibola (I also looked at factual stories and conjecture about these places); Diodorus Siculus, Pliny's and Seneca's (apparently the cave in which Kronos is imprisoned is located on Cape Breton Island) speculations about lands northwest of Britain (and also their stories of Phonecian contact with the Sargasso Sea); the Iberian myth of the Seven Cities of Antilla founded as reliquaries on the Atlantic Isles from seven bishops escaping the Moorish invasion in the 8th century; and the Vinland Saga and other sagas of Viking contacts with the New World.
3. Mormon Alternate History.I basically set the game in the America of the Lamanites -- a fallen people who nonetheless have great cities and a vague remembrance of their great past. I also cheated and adopted Brigham Young's theory that the Three Nephites were not called back but continued to walk the earth. I also spent considerable time toying with the various theories of the geography of the Book of Mormon. Finally, I went with the Chesapeake Bay hypothesis, placing Zarahemla on the Delmarva Peninsula, although I did use elements of the Great Lakes hypothesis.
4. Aboriginal History and Myth.I focused mainly on Iroquoian and Algonkian myths about history but borrowed from various aboriginal traditions.

I then looked for resonances between these things and decided to make the campaign a story of a quest for the Grail; the quest would pass through the seven cities (7 cities of Cibola, 7 cities of Antilla, 7 cities of Annwfn) and in each city the characters would find a different grail artifact/mormon relic e.g. Javelin of Teancum=Lance of Longinus, Sword of Laban=Excalibur, Seer Stones of Zarahemla=Emerald from Lucifer's crown. In Mormon theology, there is this idea of things in the Western Hemisphere parallelling things in the Eastern -- Christ coming to both continents, etc. So I hatched the idea that the European and AMerican worlds are on a collision course because the relics of the two civilizations have gotten mixed-up; the characters go to recover the Lance of Longinus that they believe has been taken into the West by bishop Oporto at the founding of the first of the sevem cities of Antilla.

In addition, the three Nephites are Jonas, Jonas and Kishkumen; Kishkumen stands for the Fisher King while the two Jonases (who I made to look identical) are like yet unlike and vie to act as counsellors to the party.

There are other great resonances between the British Heptarchy and the Iroquois Confederacy, beautiful similarities between Celtic and Iroquois mythos e.g. think of the story of Vortigern and Merlin and Geoffery of Monmouth's History of the Kings of Britain and compare it to the Iroquois Confederacy at the eve of the American Revolution.

Anyway, I imagine this has come across as a deluge of bizarre obscurity and chaotic thought but it really takes a whole 2 year campaign to explain what I created.

I recommend to those interested that they pick up a copy of Geoffery Ashe's Land to the West.

Last edited:

Farland

Explorer
I admit that mine is Tolkien influenced. That being said, it is all about detail and vision. I would perhaps not so humbly favorably compare mine with most world out there.

fusangite said:
Anyway, I imagine this has come across as a deluge of bizarre obscurity and chaotic thought but it really takes a whole 2 year campaign to explain what I created.

I recommend to those interested that they pick up a copy of Geoffery Ashe's Land to the West.
Wow that sounds fantastic, and has given me some interesting ideas
thanks so much for sharing
Ken

fusangite: Kishkumen as one of the three Nephites!
eek.gif
:)

That's playing him against type, alright!

As much as I think fusangite's original post is a fascinating tangent, let me try to address the original question a bit. I think for most folks, the resonances of having a familiar-ish setting is a good thing. Some of my favorite fantasies are fairly standard in their set-up (Midkemia, for example comes to mind, and of course Tolkien himself) but it's the "twist" that makes it interesting.

Ray Winninger, in his Dungeoncraft series of articles in Dragon Magazine (are those still archived on the web somewhere, BTW?) described creating homebrews that are D&D with a single twist to make the campaign memorable. Personally, I think that's more interesting than vanilla worlds (ala Greyhawk, FR) but in many cases can be more interesting than something completely original as well.

Right now, my campaign setting is somewhat different -- it utilizes rules that are a combination of d20 Modern and d20 Call of Cthulhu and has no humanoids other than humans themselves, orcs and tainted bloodlines of humans twisted by dark magical pockets that saturate portions of the earth. Actually using magic in any more than an extremely limited way is very dangerous and drives you inexorably insane (as well as potentially calling forth demons from a spirit-world like plane known as the Realms of Magic to attack you, drag you into their world, or otherwise reek havoc). The PCs are members of the Inquisition -- an organization dedicated to eliminating supernatural threats from the realm.

Geography is somewhat loosely based on the prehistoric Lake Bonneville -- I like the idea of a giant freshwater lake nestled in the mountains of what is otherwise a fairly dry region (although I created a second great lake and connected them via a narrow strait). I've also introduced a fauna of prehistoric animals -- sabertooths, mammoths, hunting hyenas, bone-cracking dogs, giant predatory flightless birds, etc.

The region is also under the grip of a "cold war" -- tensions between the orc kingdoms and the various other kingdoms in the region make Cassant (the main city on the strait; a neutral party) a hotbed of intrigue and espionage.

Technology has advanced somewhat; I have what are essentially steamjacks (ala Iron Kingdoms), flintlock firearms, steam-powered shipping and the like, although swords, armor and the like are also used by pretty much everyone as well.

I don't want to claim it's completely original -- it actually bears some close similarities to Red Planet's homebrew world, although I arrived at those same ideas independently, but it's also certainly not very Tolkienesque.

Last edited:

NewJeffCT

First Post
I think it is the characters that inhabit the world that make it original, unique and fun to play. What good is a unique and different concept if the characters are bland? Would you rather have a world of great heroes who had the on screen personality of Dolph Lundren, or would you rather have a world of Hamlets, Romeos & Juliets, Ben Franklins, Abe Lincolns, Robin Hoods, Wong Fei Hongs, Julius Cesar, Cleopatra, King Arthur, etc?
The best of plots and places can be ruined if the NPCs are blah, 2 dimensional or just plain boring.

And, why are elves and dragons unoriginal? I have seen so many worlds where elves are in decline and only a small minority. Or, where dragons haven’t been heard of in years (the original Dragonlance, George R.R. Martin). Why not a world teeming with dragons, or one with a very small amount of dragons. My world (if I ever get to finish it) was going to have one dragon of each color and each age category – so, only several dozen in the whole world. But, rather than have elves and dwarves in decline, both races would be in their primes and have major kingdoms on my world. But, the biggest “empire” in my world was going to belong to hobgoblins.

Maybe it is not super-unique, but I hope to have a lot of interesting characters and a good history filled with noble heroes and heroines, dastardly villains, unspeakable evils, triumphs of good against seemingly impossible odds, and all that.

The start of my world is below...

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/news...lder/Setting_Proposals/WorldProposalTerra.doc

T

:: TrigCove ::

Here's one for ya....

[CORE ETHOS SENTENCE]

Across the windswept plains of the Red Continent the wodka flows, the atom glows, and the KGB knows.

[WHO ARE THE HEROES?]

Downtrodden members of the proletariat who cast off the oppresive chains of their
bourgeois slavemasters by engaging in mighty deeds worthy of song, such as:

-standing in line for toilet paper!

-informing on friends and family!

-praising Comrade Stah-leen!

-standing in line again!

-executing a "Crazy Ivan!"

-infiltrating the mysterious "Gulags!"

-redistributing wealth!

-releasing massive amounts of radiation!

[WHAT DO THEY DO?]

The main objective of the heroes is to be afraid--for someday, little nanuschka, they WILL come
for you. When the heroes are not busy being afraid, they attempt to brainwash each other by
spouting ridiculous pseudo-aphorisms about Communism vs. Capitalism or some other such nonsenseism.

[THREATS, CONFLICTS, VILLAINS]

The main threat to the Red Continent is everybody who is not Comrade Stah-leen. After that, it's
everybody who is not KGB. After that, it's everybody who is not standing in line.

[NATURE OF MAGIC]

*LENIN!*

[WHAT'S NEW, WHAT'S DIFFERENT?]

New? Different? Wut is dis, comrade--some kind of sick Imperialist jokeski? The Yankee Dog
barks at the moon because he is *Different*, and knows his soul is stained black with Capitalist
bank transactions. One would think you are a bourgeois pinky-sticker asking such question!

There is only one question you should be asking, comrade: "would you like fries wif dot, Imperialist stooge?"

Jenner's World

Imagine a medditerran climate with islands in a shallow sea. The waters are 1 to 10 feet deep. Each "nation" is an island. That is only the beginning.

Now it gets weird-

Island of Moradin- solid rock dwarven fortress. Once was the world's largest volcano. The magma has colled, hardened, and the earth containing it eroded leaving a large solid igenese stone column...in the water. Dwarves don't like company.

One island is strewn with strange metal. Can't work it, even with magic. Tinker Gnomes have set up homes near this island to investigate it. (someday, they will search the waters and find crashed UFO)

Energy Vortexes. There are pools of energy floating over the water here and there. They light up and cause storms. How? Why? Don't know.

etc etc.

Game world never took off. Everyone wanted what they knew- FR yes the Freaking Relics.....

So Jenner's World continues to sit and wait...growing and growing.

Dave Blewer

First Post
Sundered Sky

Here is my homebrew world:

Core Ethos Sentence. A world torn apart by an ancient catastrophe, its proud kingdoms have been reduced to a myriad of islands, floating in a fathomless void.

Who are the heroes? Heroes from disparate races live by their wits and skill. Sundered Sky is a harsh world, but it is envisioned that the heroes of this setting tend more towards the swashbuckler than the grim avenger.

What do they do? Resource starved islands sponsor "scavengers", adventurers willing to risk the dangerous ruins of towers and cities that can be found on some of the more remote and smaller islands. Terrible beasts, traps and ancient undead haunt these ruins protecting the precious metals and magical treasures that can be the difference between life and death of an island.

Threats, Conflicts, Villains The powerful Trade Council has banned open conflict between islands, but this does not stop many islands waging clandestine warfare on one another, hiring small bands of mercenaries to undertake covert missions of sabotage or assassination.

Mysterious secret societies plot against one another or strive to uncover arcane mysteries hidden within the long abandoned ruins. Some are in the thrall of powerful outsiders.
It is always daylight in the void, the void glows with its own luminescence. Constant exposure to this “voidlight” turns humanoids into raving cannibalistic savages - The “Glowmad”.

A religious order that worships the void prowls between the islands in skyships, seeking victims to “feed the glow”. The void rewards them with divine magic.

Dragons wage a void-wide war amongst themselves often acting through their sorcerous agents and allied Kobold clans.

Pirates prey on many of the skylanes, some of these sponsored by greedy islands or cults bent on hiding their own secrets.

Nature of magic When the world was sundered the gods were trapped within the void with their mortal subjects. This has both magnified and limited their power.

Souls find it extremely difficult to escape the void. This has caused a large increase in the number of incorporeal undead, both malevolent and benevolent.

Every Sorcerer has either a dragon or demonic sponsor, these sponsors often teach their arcane knowledge directly to their “pets”.

What’s new? What’s different? During the Sundering, the world was blasted into the abyssal planes. The Sundered Sky is effectively a “bubble in hell.” This need not have an effect on the course of a campaign or indeed become common knowledge, but does explain the mysteries of voidlight and the glowmad phenomena.

The setting is a blend of horror, swashbuckling and romance, with plenty of scope for different types of adventure. Including such epic campaigns as demonic invasion and the reformation of the world.

As well as the standard PC races, the setting also uses Hobgoblins, Kobolds, Orcs and a new race - Wildlings; small animal/man hybrids that are bred as slaves by the elves. These races are detailed and interdependent.

Remove ads