Orphans of TIme

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
"They're called Divergence Points - moments in time where a traveler changed the outcome of history and created a Splinter, an alternate timeline. Its our job to repair the timeline by going to the Divergence Points when we detect them and preventing them from happening, usually by going back sometime before the Divergence occurred.

There's something you should know, though. Once you travel...there's no going back. You become what we call Displaced...an orphan of time. Time no longer effects us like it should. We don't age and we aren't affected by divergences...everything changes around us. And sometimes we can't fix the timeline enough. Sometimes the people we cared about are gone when we come back to the present. And there's nothing we can do about that. We exist outside of time."

The young looking man gestures around him at the high tech facility, "This is our HQ. Its shielded from Divergence as well. And that," he points to a simple digital display on the wall showing a number - 0.0013, "is the divergence percentage...the amount of difference between the timeline when time travel was first discovered and the present timeline. When a change occurs, that percentage will spike. Our goal is to keep that number below 0.01%."

The man looks at the new recruits with his hands clasped behind his back, "Well, any questions?"

D20 Modern doesn't get a whole lot of love anymore, but I figured that, with the success of [MENTION=11146]CanadienneBacon[/MENTION]'s Grim Frequencies, I'd give it a go.

This game is all about time travel. Player characters are members of a Men-in-Black style agency that monitors divergences in the timeline and sends agents back in time to fix whatever a rogue time traveler fouled up. Agents (aka PCs) are outfitted for whatever time period they are traveling to, with the intention of looking non-descript. Thus, in this setting, men-in-black and many other urban myths are actually time travelers, around only long enough to fix history.

If you don't have the D20 Modern core book, you can find the SRD here. As recruits for the Agency (Department 7) are the "best of the best of the best, sir!" ability scores shall be generated via 32 point buy (instead of the normal 25). Starting Occupations should be suitable to someone having been recruited for having applicable skills. So, unless you can come up with an excellent story reason for taking the following backgrounds, these aren't likely to be your best choices - Blue Collar, Celebrity, Dilettante, Student, White Collar. Personal belongings should be determined via your starting Wealth Bonus normally. Mission relevant gear will be assigned on a mission-by-mission basis and nothing incongruent with the destination time period may be taken back. So, you won't be taking your automatic pistol and your smart phone back to 1820. The only exception is the Temporal Translocator, implanted under the skin of the character's non-dominant wrist. The translocator is monitored by HQ at all times and is used to recall agents who have completed their mission or have sustained life threatening injuries...assuming there are no witnesses present. If the agent dies while in another time period and can't be retrieved (due to witnesses being present), the translocator disintegrates.

I'd like to have a minimum of two players, maximum of five. A wide range of skills and classes is preferred.

The percentage monitor suddenly jumps to 5.8%.

"Well, looks like its time for your first mission. Looks like someone stole several rather valuable paintings from the Titanic just before it sank. Your job will be to prevent the theft and get back here before the boat sinks. Any questions?"

How many players did you want? What's the posting rate apt to be like for this game?

My PbP docket is currently full. I recently bowed out of another game in recruitment, even after I made a character. Added to that, I will be traveling once a month down South to accompany my mum to chemo appointments, and also added that, I have a jury trial at the end of May.

My concern is I wouldn't be able to get my sh-t together to post, which would delay the game for everyone. And also that joining another game--no matter how super cool with all my favorite colleagues--would add to my stress level.

Last edited:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Welcome aboard, [MENTION=6781406]Unsung[/MENTION]!
[MENTION=11146]CanadienneBacon[/MENTION], don't add to your stress. Gaming shouldn't be stressful. ;) As for posting rate, my customary one-per-week is what I have planned.

Unsung

First Post
Aww, CB. Sorry to hear all that. You can always lurk! Or play a sidekick or familiar character. Probably something like mission control in your earpiece in this kind of game.

Hope your mom's okay.

Remove ads