• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Osirion, Land of Pharaohs

Androrc

First Post
I have recently got the book "Osirion, Land of Pharaohs", as well as the two modules "Entombed with the Pharaohs" and "The Pact Stone Pyramids". What other things could have useful information on Osirion?

On another note, I am using both Osirion and Mulhorand in my homebrewn campaign setting, and am intending to make ancient Osirion be the place from where the Imaskari summoned the Mulhorandi. What do you think?

Thoughts on both matters would be appreciated.

Shemeska

Adventurer
'Lost Cities of Golarion' has a really nice chapter on the ruins of Tumen.

The upcoming 'Lost Kingdoms' is supposed to have a chapter on ancient Osirion.

As for the interweaving of Mulhorand and Osirion, it could work, though the deities who followed the Mulhorandi to Toril are based on the real world gods of ancient egypt, which aren't those worshipped on Golarion, but you could easily rewrite that to fit your campaign. :)

And I co-wrote the Osirion book, so I'm really tickled that you're using it. :D

Androrc

First Post
'Lost Cities of Golarion' has a really nice chapter on the ruins of Tumen.

The upcoming 'Lost Kingdoms' is supposed to have a chapter on ancient Osirion.

As for the interweaving of Mulhorand and Osirion, it could work, though the deities who followed the Mulhorandi to Toril are based on the real world gods of ancient egypt, which aren't those worshipped on Golarion, but you could easily rewrite that to fit your campaign. :)

And I co-wrote the Osirion book, so I'm really tickled that you're using it. :D

Nice that you co-wrote the book :)

From the Osirion book, I got the impression that once Osirion had Egyptian-like deities of their own (like Apep), but that were eventually replaced by more widespread Golarian deities. I am specifically referring to this, in page 24:

"Osirion’s erstwhile Keleshite overlords went to great efforts to extirpate the ancient cultic religions of Osirion during their reign, but in many secret places the ancient rites continue, as beast-headed entities both malevolent and benign are venerated or placated with wealth and blood."

And then there is a mention of Apep, who is an Egyptian god, right after that.

Is my impression correct?

On another note, how useful are the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting and the Pathfinder Chronicles Gazetteer if I already have the Osirion book, for information on Osirion?

Shemeska

Adventurer
Nice that you co-wrote the book :)

From the Osirion book, I got the impression that once Osirion had Egyptian-like deities of their own (like Apep), but that were eventually replaced by more widespread Golarian deities. I am specifically referring to this, in page 24:

"Osirion’s erstwhile Keleshite overlords went to great efforts to extirpate the ancient cultic religions of Osirion during their reign, but in many secret places the ancient rites continue, as beast-headed entities both malevolent and benign are venerated or placated with wealth and blood."

And then there is a mention of Apep, who is an Egyptian god, right after that.

Is my impression correct?

I wrote pages 1-22, Jason Nelson did pages 22+, so you might need to ask him for his insights on the issue. My take on it is that it's an open question if those cults are devoted to actual gods by those names, or if for instance they're native Osirion names for aspects of other gods, or the names of non-deific outsiders, etc.

Osirion has worshipped Pharasma pretty much since the start of their culture*, and Nethys since the start of his godhood (since by legend he was from Osirion), while it's not been explored when those cults began, if they arose natively or if they were introduced by one or another foreign (or extraterrestrial, or extraplanar) culture.

*pre-Earthfall, who knows what they looked like. But Pharasma is one of the oldest deities in existence, and is one of the most worshipped gods there currently, so it's likely.

As for Apep being mentioned, it may or may not be the same Apep as in Earth mythology or just using a familiar concept and name for Golarion's "egypt-land". I'd adjust that within your own campaign. Perhaps for using the Mulhorandi from FR, maybe they and the garundi of Osirion came from the same seed culture on Earth, or perhaps Earth and Mulhorand came from Golarion's Osirion. Lots of ways to tailor this to mesh with the material in FR.

On another note, how useful are the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting and the Pathfinder Chronicles Gazetteer if I already have the Osirion book, for information on Osirion?

The gazetteer is a short intro book, while the Inner Sea World Guide is the most recent full campaign setting guide, and it incorporates material from the Osirion book and elsewhere while the original PFCS book did not since it was published before them. I'd say get the Inner Sea World Guide just for the expanded look at surrounding nations, inner sea politics, and the material on gods etc. Plus it's a spectacular book, on the same order of production quality as the 3e FRCS.

Remove ads