• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Ossuary Golem & Detect Magic, Arcane Eye, etc

koesherbacon

First Post
The Ossuary Golem has this special ability:
Disassemble (Ex)
When at rest with no living prey nearby, an ossuary golem as a free action separates into its component skeletons that lie inert in true death. In this form it is immune to all damage short of disintegration. As a free action, an ossuary golem can reassemble into its conglomerate form to attack. While living prey is nearby, an ossuary golem will not use its disassemble ability. Use of this ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

When disassembled and appearing as various skeletons, what would Detect Magic or Arcane Eye or similar spells allow the viewer to see? If they would see active spells, which would they be and/or which schools of magic would they detect (if any)?

Thanks a lot, I'm going to put them in the next leg of my adventure, and I just know as soon as my players see these seemingly completely deceased skeletons, they're going to use whatever spells they have to try to figure out what's up with them.

Thanks a lot!

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
Immunity to Magic: An ossuary golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance . . .

So, detect magic and arcane eye are not foiled by the magic resistance of the golem, as they are unaffected by spell resistance. I would say most likely moderate strength, necromantic school. Also, I would allow detect undead to discover the creature as well.

Although it is nice to surprise players, I also like to let their abilities have a chance, after all, that's why those spells are in the game :)

Last edited:

koesherbacon

First Post

Although it is nice to surprise players, I also like to let their abilities have a chance, after all, that's why those spells are in the game :)

I'm sorry, what exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean that the golem, being immune to magic, would not register with DM or AE? That way the PCs are very surprised when it animates and all the skeletons become a conglomerate of shards of bones flying around?

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
No no, what I meant was that the spells would work, as the golem's resistance does not work on those spells. Thus, the players could detect the monster if careful.

My other statement was a generalization, in that while as a DM I do enjoy surprising players, it is also good to let them figure things out with their abilities as well.

Tovec

Explorer
I really can't comment on how the rules work or should work or are intended to work here. All I can say is that I see one bit of text that seems significant.

component skeletons that lie inert in true death
To me that seems like it is saying that the skeleton (pieces?) are dead, inactive and generally not going to radiate anything except 'bone-ness' to any spell. There may be a lingering aura of.. whatever school of spell created the golem?.. for X length after it disassembles. But to me this brief description seems like it is supposed to be a trap, or a creature that doesn't seem like a creature until people fall into its radius and it springs to life and attacks.

Just thought that line seemed significant; carry on.

Remove ads