• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OT-a bit) CivIII- Has anyone...?

Vhane

First Post
I must say I love this game. It is the greatest video game ever, for its genre. That said I must say its the hardest game I've ever played.

Do any of you have any nifty strategies? Does any one else wish there was a way to simulate this in d20? When does Fields of Blood come out?

Azure Trance

First Post
Corruption can be 'fixed' by altering the civ3mod.bic file in Civ3Edit. Go to Edit Rules > World Size and you'll see it under Optimal Cities.

I visit www.civfanatics.com for my Civ3 needs (much like this is for my RPG needs). It's even more fun when you download mods. I have a DOUBLE YOUR PLEASURE MOD beta which I installed. Best I've seen so far, and adds:

49 new Techs
42 New Improvements
16 new small wonders
25 new wonders
Lotsa new units

After you get bored of playing Civ3 standard, try this out :p :) Unfortunatly its still Beta (released something like 2 weeks ago) and still buggy, so do it at your own risk. Darn missing .flcs in the unit .ini's made the game crash everytime I tried to make a ranger :p

Also download Snoops graphic pack. It makes Civ3 look sooo much better. Different mountains, trees, irrigation, etc. Perusing the site I also found out about Succession games, which I never thought about or heard before. Essentially a save game file passed by several people with them posting their history in the MB. Very cool when you see some of them and the story they create for them.

Theres tons of strategy out there at he site and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

Vhane

First Post
Azure Trance: Thank you. I may have to try that corruption fix (it would be very nice).

I will have to explore that site, thank you again.

Enforcer

Explorer
Some tricks I use (nothing special, just basic tips):

Pick a religious civilization. This way you can be a democracy during peacetime, and it only takes one turn to switch to a Monarchy for wartime.

Trade, trade, trade! Always go for the trade resources, they can make you an ass-load of cash.

Build by rivers--cities adjacent to rivers don't need aqueducts to go to level 12.

Sun Tzu's Art of War--you can't live without it. Free barracks on all cities on a continent! Same with other wonders like it (Hoover's dam, Pyramids, J.S. Bach's); any wonder that puts an improvement in all cities on a continent is key.

Don

First Post
Vhane said:
I must say I love this game. It is the greatest video game ever, for its genre. That said I must say its the hardest game I've ever played.

Do any of you have any nifty strategies?

When I first started playing, I found it to be a lot more challenging than Civ2, but once you get used to the different rules (no zones of control, settlers taking 2 population, etc.), it gets much easier.

The best thing to do in the early game is to build cities like mad. You would not believe how fast the computer opponents crank out settlers. Building lots of cities fast should be your first priority. I find the best thing to do in each new city is build a defensive unit, then a structure that produces culture while waiting for it to be large enough to produce a settler (i.e. size 3).

Be wary when building cities close to an enemy's capital: they are very likely to defect even if they're relatively happy and your culture is strong. I built one about half a dozen squares away and even though I was the most powerful civ, it still defected to the enemy.

I'm not sure if they fixed this in the latest patch, but you lose all your units when a city defects to the enemy. This makes it terribly frustrating when waging war on an opponent with high culture. You'll take over a city, plant some units in there so they can heal, and then it'll revert back to the enemy civ, instantly destroying your units! The best thing to do is to not put any units inside a city you've just captured. Just place units around it. That way, if it reverts, you're right there, ready to take over it again.

When going to war, you'll need lots of units to capture cities. Maybe it's just me, but it seems you need a lot more units to capture cities than in previous Civ games.

One good strategy for capturing a city is to surround it and pillage all roads leading into the city. The city will be cut off from sources of horses/iron/etc. so they can't build the better defensive units anymore.

And, yes, Azure is right: corruption is horribly broken in the game (how the playtesters missed that one I'll never know).

Amrynn Moonshadow

First Post
both the links posted are good starts.

as for strategy, you HAVE to have a plan. it all starts with which civ you use. finding one which plays like your style is the most important thing. you're not going to send your wizard into melee; and likewise you're not going to conquor the world by military might as gandhi.

the greeks are a good civ for resources (they get +1 comerce and +1 science, don't they?)

additionally the romans are a good war race.

if you are a science peoples, don't say no to russia or babylon (sp?)

you're really going to have to work over your population if you are playing in a style which is counterproductive, in relation to the way the people in your civ think your civ should be run.

there's nothing like trading for luxuries though. early on you can cheat / rob / steal from the AI in diplomancy screen, then it gets harder and harder later on in the game, so take advantage of it sooner, rhater than later. but the key remains luxuries.

when i play, i usually end up winning with cultural victories. back in civ2 i wasn't much of a war monger, i'd rather build libraries and make my people happy than tanks. now that has it's own value, as other civs will want to join yours / and if someone takes over your town, they'll turn back and join you. if you have a strong cultural value, esp. in relationship to your neighbours, then one tactic to use is move down a settler towards a stratigic resource far out of your territory, and make a city. it helps to have a leader ready to hurry production of the small wonder "forbidden city" (or whatever the name is, that acts as a second capital), that way you'll reduce lost shields due to be far away from the heartlands of your people.

as with any new city, buying a temple after one turn of working on it (to get whatever meagre shields) helps. the sooner you start expanding your borders, the sooner you'll win the game. i find that with one of these cities i make which is close to other civs crapacular cities (you know, they run about making so many dumb units, while never making even a marketplace), that i really put alot of cultural improvements in, often starts a domino effect, converting any enemy city in it's way. this is good because you get the strategic resource / luxury (btw, diamonds are ultra important, almost as important as uranium), and that you have alot of space to build up to that city.

and you get free cities w/o ever having to start a war . . . who could ask for anything more?

military campaigns, though not something i am amazing at, don't seem to have changed much from civ2, save for some special abilities from special units (like planes and cannons). keep the science rates up, and you'll have better stuff than the next guy, then you can take them over with a smaller force or better units.

unfortunately, war, science and culture all are dependant on money. i don't know much about money problems because i usually play as the indians (comerce and religious), and it seriously hasn't come up. when you have 10+ cities that are big enough to need aquaducts, and they are all producing +1 commerce in each square you tend to make alot of money.

i'd have to change my game plan if i changed my civ.

so, it goes back to the civ.

find what works for you, that doesn't mean try out every civ, but look at how you play the game, and find a civ that'll either:

a) be able to augment your playing style, such that it will produce a large advantage for you in one of the things that are key to your gameplan (say, like getting a free tech each epoch, if you are relying on science)

b) offset a part of your game that is particularly weak. if you don't make alot of units, they better be good fighters (ie. at least veterans, plenty of civs, like the aztecs, usually produce stronger units who gain experience quicker than some bookworm civ)

oh yeah, then again, there are all those wonders to discuss still . . .

have fun, and keep playing it.

Timeline

Timeline: Fantasy Civilization Combat is our d20 interpretation. Fields of Blood, if I'm not mistaken, is more like Age of Empires than Civilization. For example, our "rounds" are generally a generation a piece. Fields of Blood, IIRC has a morning round and an afternoon round.

http://www.d20timeline.com

Kris

Al

First Post
I usually play Persians. They are a very strong civilization.

Firstly, they are Religious. This means not only do Temples and Cathedrals come cheaper (invaluable on higher difficult levels), but the one-turn Anarchy means you can easily swap between 'peace' governments (e.g. Democracy) and 'war'governments (e.g. Communism).

Secondly, they are Industrious. This means that Workers work faster, extremely useful in giving you a kickstart to any empire-building, and productivity increases (meaning you can just beat your rivals to building those crucial Wonders, and also boosting general production).

Thirdly, their special unit, the Immortals, is not to be underestimated. With four attack strength, they are the conquerors of the Ancient Era: the only slight problems being Hoplites and Legionnaries. This is pivotal: the best way to start any game is to build as many cities and carve out an empire. Then, conquer your weakest nearest rival. Conquer early, civilise later. Or at least that's what I usually do. And it usually works.

ghettognome

First Post
Does anyone play Civ3 on windows xp? I seem to have problems getting it to run properly after I upgraded, even after downloading patches and things like that. I can see all the opening animations, but when it comes to the first option of play screen, it goes blank, though I can still hear the music in the background.
As far as what I think of the game. I haven't had a chance to get a really good game in. I was a little disappointed with some things, but I was waiting to try and play with the patches to see if it was better. I had mastered civ2, so I was looking forward to the challenge of having different ways to win the game. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads