• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OT) Any vegans out there?

talinthas

First Post
Heh. nothing bugs me more than fake meat. if you're going so far as to eat tofurky, just give in to teh real thing.

I'll be honest though. Eating Vegan is hard. However, there are ways to do it. One thing no one has really mentioned here is Pasta. Simple pasta dishes with a few extra vegetables chucked in for good measure are great for maintaining a healthy lifestyle, without resorting to soy crap. Also, asian cuisine is great since most of those cultures use meat really sparingly. (dont pay attention to restaurants here in the states, as they are really poor representations.) Learn to make chinese fried rice without eggs. It's a staple for me. Also, stir fries in general are great fun and tasty.

Of course, there is always indian cusine to fall back on. In safeway stores you can get these things called Tasty Bites, which are essentially precooked indian food in vaccum sealed packs. They taste freaking great, especially with rice, and are 100% vegan.

Number47

First Post
There are also Dilberitos, the food of the future. The cool thing about them is that they are vegetarian and I think even vegan, and are vitamin-enriched so that you get an entire healthy meal from one.

Sixchan

First Post
talinthas said:
Heh. nothing bugs me more than fake meat. if you're going so far as to eat tofurky, just give in to teh real thing.

I'll be honest though. Eating Vegan is hard. However, there are ways to do it. One thing no one has really mentioned here is Pasta. Simple pasta dishes with a few extra vegetables chucked in for good measure are great for maintaining a healthy lifestyle, without resorting to soy crap. Also, asian cuisine is great since most of those cultures use meat really sparingly. (dont pay attention to restaurants here in the states, as they are really poor representations.) Learn to make chinese fried rice without eggs. It's a staple for me. Also, stir fries in general are great fun and tasty.

Of course, there is always indian cusine to fall back on. In safeway stores you can get these things called Tasty Bites, which are essentially precooked indian food in vaccum sealed packs. They taste freaking great, especially with rice, and are 100% vegan.

I eat Pasta with butter. That's probably not too healthy, but if I add tomato sauce, voila, a healthy dish...or something.;)

ejja_1

First Post
Tofu

I usually order it at the local thai resteruant in my town, they fry it and give you peanut suace for dipping it in. It's actually pretty good, and it goes well with pad thai instead of meat. The tofu used is the firm variety, and seems to hold marinades or suaces better.
I personally eat pretty much anything, and have been known to try a bunch of different stuff. Meat,vege's,fruit whatever as long as it tastes good.

As for the ethical and political sides.... Just not interested.

Uzumaki

First Post
dave_o said:
Anyway, in San Diego there's this rad place sorta close to Mission Beach called People's Food Co-Op. They rule for eating healthy.

Heh. I live a block away from it. There's also a vegan and raw food restaurant there, as well as on Newport.

Dilberitos? Haven't heard of them. Are they a Detroit only delicacy? And I'll try and find that Indian food.

Should I buy a wok or something?

Thorntangle

First Post
It was nice to see this turn into a thread only marginally more civilized than a Fark.com PETA/Vegetarianism thread. I know that the thread has settled down a little, but damn, I figured gamers would be a little more tolerant of a chosen lifestyle than the general population.

I was going to type a lot, but I'd rather preserve a sort of sanctity here and play with gasoline on Fark.com instead. Here's a website debunking myths:

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/resources/facts.asp

I only ever get called a hippy online. And how many people still use the word hippy? :p

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Umbran said:

It's not so nice to claim you know from whence another's comment comes, declare it not to be a fact, and then state that it is politics. Intentionally or not, it is equivalent to calling someone else a liar, and then slapping a gag on them so they may not defend themselves.

I wanted to send an email, but you don't accept them and neither do I. :rolleyes: So with respect, your post had already all but called the author of fast food nation and anyone on this thread who mentioned animal suffering as a reason for vegitarianism liars. Also, you were the one who presented your comments not as any sort of opinion but straight fact, literally speaking for the animals themselves. :( A simple comment about varying opinions or a suggestion for an alternate book or website would have been a useful contribution. Your comments were asking for a fight.

(and while my current location may be listed as cambridge, I grew up in a little town in kansas supported largely by the Iowa Beef Packing Plant. So I'm afraid I can't take much of a "people have different opinions" stance on your comments, especially with your absolute tone.)

Kahuna burger

Cedric

First Post
Honestly,

I object to vegetarianism and veganism on grounds that I find them both to be morally reprehensible.

I am not a very religious person, but I am a spiritual person. I believe in the power of nature and respect the obvious wishes and desires of nature.

It is crystal clear to me that humans were not meant to lead vegetarian or vegan lifestyles and I believe that doing so is an afront to nature, so I object on moral grounds.

Cedric

Remove ads