• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Ashes series

Sulimo

First Post
johnsemlak said:
I'm an ousider looking in on Cricket, but I'll say this.

It must be hard being and English Cricket fan during the Ashes Series. It gets loads of press It lasts a whole month. 5 test matches. Each match lasts several days (I don't know much abotu Cricket, but the game lasts a long time). And from what I've seen in recent years, every minute of it is pretty painful. Several days of defeat, then, a week later, they go through it again, and again. And the Aussies don't hold anything back, they go for the 5 match sweep.

Yeah. For years I've been saying Australia should just use a rotating roster of State sides for international cricket rather than a national side. That might make international cricket a bit fairer.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I've just returned to Brisbane after three-and-a-half years living in Singapore... and it is bl00dy good to come back and watch the Poms get thumped!!! :)

Cheers
NPP

BeholderBurger

First Post
Im from UK but I cant stand cricket. I am slightly surprised as to how many of you have expressed interest in it. I mean come on, its about as energetic as darts.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
How cricket ever got invented in England is beyond me. Doesn't it rain there all the time?

I had a fun day yesterday programming whilst listening to the cricket. I'm going to repeat that today. :)

Cheers!

Sulimo

First Post
BeholderBurger said:
Im from UK but I cant stand cricket. I am slightly surprised as to how many of you have expressed interest in it. I mean come on, its about as energetic as darts.

No suprise given you've had several generations of being ground into the dirt :D

I've always loved it..and never had any interesting in the local ball sports..AFL, Rugby, League, Soccer..well I did play soccer a little when I was younger. Haven't played much cricket lately though. Aside from social stuff.

Last edited:

Even as an Aussie, I have a lot of sympathy for Simon Jones. I suffered the exact same injury back in January, had it operated on in March, and am still months away from a full recovery. Not fun. Not fun at all.

Damn, Hayden's out for 197. :(

I'm really sorry to the Brits for Simon Jones' injury, but it was not the Aussie's fault.

I'm a fan of cricket - I had the TV on at home all day yesterday and will today too. But the games are more interesting when the teams seems to be comparable in quality.

I like cricket because of the strategic, numerical side to it. I like it because things take time. And I have no interest whatsoever in contact sports.

btw, to the person that suggested Australia bat till 900 - well, that's no use, really, because when England gets in they would just go purely defensive. They should be able to last out 2 days with two innings if all they do is defend. And that's so BORING.

Another thought...
With the drought so bad here I would be glad to see every test match washed out.

Duncan

CoopersPale

First Post
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!!!!

OI, OI, OI!!!

Someone had to say it....

My understanding is that cricket was the forerunner to baseball, in that baseball evolved from it. Am I right or am I just living in a dream world?

CoopersPale said:
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!!!!

OI, OI, OI!!!

I heard on JJJ this morning that Steve Waugh (Australia Test Cricket Team Captain)'s son is named Austin.

Steve calls him Aussie.

Yep - Aussie Waugh....

(Waugh is pronounced War)

Duncan

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads