• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Attorneys on the EnWorld boards

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
JPL said:

Haven't even got my results from the bar yet, and I just got a gig as second chair defense on a murder 1/attempt murder 1 case.

Is this legal?

I sure hope that, if the time comes, I can at least be confident that my defense attourney passed the bar. :)

Dingleberry

First Post
I've been in private practice for five years, focused in transactional information technology/intellectual property and promotional/advertising work.

JPL

Adventurer
Re: Re: [OT] Attorneys on the EnWorld boards

MeepoTheMighty said:

Is this legal?

I sure hope that, if the time comes, I can at least be confident that my defense attourney passed the bar. :)

Well, in the state where I practice, you can get a sort of learner's permit that allows you to practice so long as a fully accredited lawyer is supervising.

"Second chair" is the courtroom equivalent of "henchman."

But I should have the bar results back by the time our boy goes to trial.

Gaius

First Post
*shudders at the thought of being surrounded by so many lawyers* ;)

I'm one of the boys in blue, so you'll understand my aversion.

Gaius

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I've been an attorney since 1995. Most recently I was General Counsel for a large internet company for 4 years, doing corporate, contracts, transactions, mergers & acquisitions, intellectual property, employment, etc... However, after we sold the company multiple times, I eventually left. Now I am a partner in my own small law firm doing mostly high-tech startup ventures, and thinking about which direction I want to go next.

I know of a similar occurrence to your death penalty case, with my ex-girlfriend. Her first trial ever was a murder case. She won, against the odds, but it was very nerve-wracking. She went on to be an excellent public defender.

Good luck with criminal law, and with the bar. Criminal law is a difficult road to follow, but it can be very fulfilling at times it seems (and heartbreaking other times, or so say my ex).

Last edited:

JPL

Adventurer
Gaius said:

Gaius

My wife's a state cop.

And hey, I'm a lawyer, but I still feel the aversion. My profession has totally earned its bad rep.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Gaius said:

Gaius

Of course, here in Los Angeles, with Rampart, Rodney King, and other incidents, y'all have nearly the same reputation as we lawyers do now.

Welcome to the club, where your entire profession is judged by the bad acts of a few :)

JPL

Adventurer
Mistwell said:

Of course, here in Los Angeles, with Rampart, Rodney King, and other incidents, y'all have nearly the same reputation as we lawyers do now.

Welcome to the club, where your entire profession is judged by the bad acts of a few :)

Just like necromancers.

JoeBlank

Explorer
Attorney since '95 also. Focus is on workers' compensation, representing both employers and injured workers.

Surprising how many law students we have here. Shows you don't have to devote 100% of your time to study in law school.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads