• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Attorneys on the EnWorld boards

Zappo

Explorer
blaster219 said:
Oohhh, BADD would hate this. All those poor "innocent" children corrupted by the evil of Dungeons and Dragons now working in the criminal justice system! :D
I wonder... what if one of you attorneys on this board was hired by a fundie group to sue WotC (to force them to put a mature label on all D&D products, or whatever)?

What if, instead, you were to defend WotC in such a case?

JPL

Adventurer
Zappo said:
I wonder... what if one of you attorneys on this board was hired by a fundie group to sue WotC (to force them to put a mature label on all D&D products, or whatever)?

What if, instead, you were to defend WotC in such a case?

Sounds like more fun than this murder case.

Everyone has a right to legal representation. If I thought a client had a weak case (like trying to get a warning label), I'd tell the client. I'd rather work for "the Good Guys" --- but there's much to be said for having an honorable and professional attorney working for "the Bad Guys."

I'm thinking about starting a sort of Nerd Law website. Basic copyright info (for fan sites), discussion of cases (Joe Simon trying to get the rights to Captain America, X-Men v. Mutant X), that sort of thing. If I can convince my wife that this is not a colossal waste of time, I'll let you folks know --- it sounds to me like we have quite a broad range of expertise on this board, and I could probably use the help.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
law grad who figured out about year 1.5 of law school that he didn't want to be a lawyer, but figured the degree mightly look sparkly, or at least more sparkly than going 50,000 in debt without the degree. So now I'm 100,000+ in debt with the degree and I'm trying to figure out what the heck I should do that doesn't involve being a lawyer. But let me tell you that was one of the best 3 year 100,000$ vacations I ever had.

Mercule

Adventurer
Well, if close counts, I came within inches of going off to law school. Made the rounds at Drake, etc. Ultimately decided that I'd _need_ a good defense attourney if I had to do three more years of school. I enjoyed Constitutional law most from my pre-law courses, hated administrative law.

Now I just program computers at a bankrupt telcom. I often wonder if I made the right call. :)

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Shard O'Glase said:
law grad who figured out about year 1.5 of law school that he didn't want to be a lawyer, but figured the degree mightly look sparkly, or at least more sparkly than going 50,000 in debt without the degree. So now I'm 100,000+ in debt with the degree and I'm trying to figure out what the heck I should do that doesn't involve being a lawyer. But let me tell you that was one of the best 3 year 100,000$ vacations I ever had.

When I found myself in almost exactly the same situation some time ago (stretched it out to 4 years myself), I went into desktop publishing.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Marius Delphus said:

When I found myself in almost exactly the same situation some time ago (stretched it out to 4 years myself), I went into desktop publishing.

well do you like desktop publishing?

Why or why not?

If you do like it what is a good route to get into desktop publishing?

Wormwood

Adventurer
Shard O'Glase said:

well do you like desktop publishing?

Why or why not?

If you do like it what is a good route to get into desktop publishing?

I would advise you avoid the field, at least for the time being.

Right now the [graphic design/pre-press] marketplace is glutted with 'diploma-mill designers' and semi-professional interns who trained at home with their cracked copy of Photoshop.

Take it from someone stupid enough to have hung out his own shingle just as the bubble burst.

Tsyr

Explorer
/me shudders

Sooo... many... lawyers...

Though, in all honestly, I really considered it for a long time. Then I took a few basic law and government classes and decided not to.

Hello, 6+ years of college for a doctorate in literature, which only lets me teach, basicly... and thats if I get a teaching cert too :rolleyes:

Nathanael

First Post
Hear, hear, Wormwood. I'm with you on that one.

I actually have 2 years experience, functioned as the entire marketing department for a minor corporation, AND, have knowledge of so much software and hardware it'd make your head spin. But I still can't get a job because I am niether experienced (5+ years) nor inexperienced (right out of college) enough to warrant a job. The irony of the experienced end, of course, is that they want to pay those with the 5+ years the same as a college intern.

It's hard to be a career creative, no doubt. Just ask the former employees of the WOTC graphic Design dept (just what we need, more sharks in the tank)...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Remove ads