• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Australia burns!

Agback

Explorer
Eternalknight said:
Apparently some folks in Canberra had less than 15 minutes warning, is that right?

I wouldn't doubt it. The fire was driven by winds of 45 km per hour (gusts to 100 km per hour), and wind-borne embers are reported to have been starting spot fires as much as 12 km in advance of the main front. Not everyone listens to local radio on Saturday afternoons. I am sure that the first notion some people had that they specifically were in danger was when the sky started hailing incandescent embers.

Regards,

Agback

brak1

Amateur Fortean
I just heard about this last night (Sunday here in Maine). The images were terrifying (there was a police crew trapped in their car as the road turned into a sheet of fire from blown embers). Like Sammael99 I immediately wondered if our country had volunteered any firefighters to help.

I wish I could say I assumed that we had, but I'm feeling like we're increasingly cut off from the rest of the world lately and helping out doesn't seem like our first reaction anymore. The fact that it wasn't on the news until Sunday (a traditionally slow news day) just emphasizes how little focus is given to events not directly related to the US.

But enough of my whining. Just wanted to see if any help from the US was coming. I know a couple of volunteer firefighters that have worked in the southwestern US fires of the past few years. I'm sure they would want to help (if only because it's darn cold here right now :)).

EverSoar

First Post
Hows the threat of water contamination.

I heard their water sewerage plants got damaged, and sewerage would seep into water supply?

ninthcouncil

First Post
Eternalknight said:
Apparently some folks in Canberra had less than 15 minutes warning, is that right?

According toBBC News the astronomers at Mt. Stromlo had about 20 minutes. The telescopes and workshops have been completely destroyed:

Attachments

• stromlo.jpg
    stromlo.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 124

Agback

Explorer
EverSoar said:
Hows the threat of water contamination.

I heard their water sewerage plants got damaged, and sewerage would seep into water supply?

Actually, the threat was that sewage would have to be discharged into the Molonglo River, not into the water supply.

Anyway, the sewage treatment works that was damaged by the fire was back in operation at full capacity at noon yesterday. The backlog of untreated sewage will be cleared by tonight. We were asked to minimise the water we discharged into the sewers (take waste water from sink, bath, and washing machine to the garden in buckets, take short showers, refrain from flushing after minor use), and this measure held the two days' output of raw sewage down to what could be stored on the site. This backlog will be treated by the end of today, and the restrictions lifted in the morning.

The damaged water pumping station has also be repaired, and clean water supplies were restored yesterday to everywhere except some parts of the suburb of Chapman. The problem at Chapman is that 100-kmph winds stripped the roof of the reservoir and dumped burning trees etc in it. Ashes and mud were drawn into the pipes when water was drawn for fighting fires, and they haven't got the roof back on, debris dredged out, and pipes flushed yet. Repairs are expected to be complete today.

Last I heard 5% of Canberra homes were still without electrical power, the whole Weston Creek area without gas, and over 2,000 homes without telephones.

Regards,

Agback

Utrecht

First Post
As you may or may not be aware, Denver experinced something quite similar to this last summer with the Haymen Fire. It turned out that one of the Federal Forest Service Employees had intentionally set the fire.

At the end of it, something like 130,000 acres of forest ended up burning (something like a 50 mile by 10 mile strip of land). I do not know what the property damage was, but it was (as might imagine) quite extensive.

It was one of the more surreal experiences I have ever experienced - Here it was June and it was literally snowing ash and small pieces of burnt trees at my house and I live about 60 miles from the actual fires on the east side of Denver and the fires were southwest. But you would go outside and could see the cloud of smoke raising up over the city - it almost looked if someone had taken a pice a charcol and smudged out 1/3 of the sky.

Get ready for your water supply to taste and smell off. It has only been within the past couple of months that our water finally started to taste right - and taking a shower was unpleasent - you would litterly get the smell of woodsmoke whenever you would turn the water on......

CoopersPale

First Post
Here's hoping you Canberran's are alright.

Make sure you look after yourselves.

I've been able to get in touch with people in Canberra through their mobiles in the last 24 hours or so - It's good to finally get calls through!

Be well :)

btw, do we yet know if these were deliberately lit fires?
Unfortunately this seems to be the case these days....

CoopersPale said:
Here's hoping you Canberran's are alright.

Make sure you look after yourselves.

I've been able to get in touch with people in Canberra through their mobiles in the last 24 hours or so - It's good to finally get calls through!

Be well :)

btw, do we yet know if these were deliberately lit fires?
Unfortunately this seems to be the case these days....

They are asking us to stay off the mobiles as much as possible to free the network up for emerncy workers.

The fires were started nearly two weeks ago by lightening strikes (as were the ones in the snowy mountains).

And as for our water - we are in the horrid position now that if we do get significant rainfall, which would really help put out the fires and break the drought, would carry tons of ash and debris into the water catchments, which are have always been so pristine they aren't even filtered.

*sigh*

And now a significant portion of the town is again on high alert as winds pick up and the danger of fires moving into inhabited lands increases.

Duncan

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
I live in Chapman, the second-worst hit of the suburbs of Canberra, with 75 homes destroyed. The fire came within about 100m of my home. I spent Saturday afternoon on the ridge which my home stands on fighting the fires with a garden hose. Fortunately, the people in the immediate vicinity had not evacuated when told to do so, and we put out the fires with not much more than garden hoses, buckets of water, wet towels, and shovels. The ridge behind Chapman is open grassland with very sparse trees, and from my experience on Saturday, a grass fire is able to be controlled by ordinary men and women with no training and few tools. With the great wisdom of hindsight, I could say that Chapman might well have lost far fewer than 75 houses if people had stayed around to fight the fire than have been forced to leave. However, one cannot blame the emergency services for putting peoples' lives before property (did I say they did a fantastic job in impossible circumstances?).

By contrast, the worst hit suburb, Duffy, sits right next to a pine plantation, and flying embers set the petrol station in the middle of the suburb alight. Only a flash flood would've made an impact - and we're in the middle of the worst drought for several decades.

We still don't have power on at our place (72 hours after it went out) and don't look like we'll have it back anytime soon. We've been "camping" in our own home, cooking on the BBQ, eating out of eskies ("coolers"), and using candles at night. We've still got cold water, tho', and it's clean (we're about 50m from the poor people connected to the reservoir whose roof was blown off).

We're fortunate. Several of my workmates lost their houses in Chapman and Duffy. There's nothing left to burn on the ridge, so the fire threat has now passed. But it's still burning near other parts of Canberra, and many people have gone home to prepare. Welcome to the Australian Summer.

Cheers, Al'Kelhar

I guess bushfires are nothing new to anyone living in Australia, but I've got to say the footage of the firestorm on tv is like nothing I've ever seen.

And now the media is trying to whip up a blame storm, because it's easier to report news in the modern era when there's a villain to blame. To quote Kent Brockman "The time has come for finger pointing."

People are suffering and monumental sacrifices are being made and the media wants a witch hunt.:mad:

Remove ads