• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Board Game suggestions?

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Salutations,

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent board game 3 people could play?

We are putting rpg's on hold until our fourth gets back, and this may be a good alternative.

One of them wants to try Axis and Allies, but I am pretty sick of WW2.

I would appreciate any suggestions- especially any suggestions that are easily found at stores.

I have heard a lot of brief mentions of Settlers of Catan- has anyone tried this?

Respectfully submitted
FD

reapersaurus

Explorer
Most important - what games does your group like currently?

That will help us to tailor a recommendation for you.

Was Axis & Allies the level of complexity you like?-

CRG

First Post
MUTANT GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a traditionalist.

Hit the toystore and look for a game called "Mutant Chronicles".
Loads of fun. Can be played as a drinking game. Same world as Chronopia, WarZone, etc.

If you have an old copy of Talisman, go with that.

Wife and I just picked up some sort of Mensa-select pirate game, but we don't have the brain power yet to try it out. Our 3 yo still has us playing the "I'm a little teapot" game and "Candyland" - both of which will eat your brain.

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Salutations,

This will be the first time we are trying a board game in our rpg group- which revolves around d20.

This game will be with my two really casual players- so something that does not require:

1) anything beyond social-trivia
2) complex math

I, personally, like almost all games.

No one in our group has played Axis & Allies, so I could not rate the complexity of the game.

FD

Maraxle

First Post
HeroQuest. That'll let you stick to the fantasy theme if you want, and doesn't require a lot of thought.

Clue. A classic.

Shadowrun (the card game). It's out of print, but you can probably find starter decks cheap online.

Scrabble. 'Nuff said.

JDragon

Explorer
Just few thoughts.

I played Settlers of Catan (3 or 4 games) on afternoon with my gaming group, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. You don't get to kill stuff or take over the world, but their can be a lot of stratgey to it. Settlers also has some other versions, and expansion sets.

Other classics:

RISK - take over the world

Monoply - make lots of money

Dungeons & Dragons Clue - Clue with the Iconic characters :D ( yes this does exist)

Well thats all I can thnk of for now.

BTW - I'm guessing A&A will be tuff if no one has played it before.

JDragon

Samothdm

First Post
My D&D game group has a twice/monthly (well, we used to, at least) game night.

Some of the games we played:

* Settlers of Catan (play it online here). This is great game. One of my favorites. Can be played with 3 people.
* Robo Rally. This game was fun (we only played it once) but I had the biggest headache afterwards.
* Ra (read a review here). One of our current favorites.
* Acquire (read a review here) . Target had this game on sale for 50% off a few months ago. You may still be able to find a copy there. Lots more fun that the "stock ownership" theme might sound.
* Modern Art (read a review here) . This is another favorite which involves buying and selling "paintings" by "famous" artists. A lot of fun once you get the hang of it. Trying to get other people to bid on your paintings is a lot of fun.

That's probably enough for now, but don't forget card games like Chez Geek and a new game my group discovered which is perfect for the D&D crowd, Munchkin .

Have fun!

Remove ads