• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Convention Party advice

Lady Starhawk

First Post
I know this probably isn't the right environment to bring this up in, but I'm getting desperate and nervous.

I am throwing a room party at a sci-fi/fantasy convention in a little over a month. It is a Star Wars theme, with Original Triology only (if I can help it). No alcohol will be consumed or served in my room (16 year old sister will be there).

I need to know what makes a good room party (aside from alcohol) from those of you who attend cons with room parties, and I would love some advice from anybody here who has thrown a room party. Any ideas or advice (or web-pages) would be helpful :)

I just didn't know where else to turn and the con hasn't gotten back to me yet about the party.

Thanks,
Lady Starhawk

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Not a simple question. What makes a good party depends on the guests. So, the first question is if it's an open party, or an invitation-only thing.

If it's open, you may want to consider finding a big fan friend to act as "bouncer". An open event can get a number of drunk people wandering through, some of which may be packing their own alcohol. Such people can be disruptive or overly lecherous, and having a plan in place for dealing with them would be a good idea.

If it's invite only, don't ask us, ask your guests :) However, in my experience, people going to a non-alcohol party are more in it for the conversation than anything else. So, keep the place conversation friendly - keep the music volume down, scatter the munchies all about the room, rather than in a central location.

Lady Starhawk

First Post
The party is open to everyone attending the convention.

It's a (pretty) big sci-fi fantasy convention for all mediums (gaming, movies, books, comics, art, etc).

Thanks for trying though :)

LAters,
Lady Starhawk

Remove ads