• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OT) Crank Yankers and your own crank phone call memories

R.X.DIEM

First Post
Yea....can i speak to Hal, Hal Jalikakick?

Has anyone here ever heard of "THE TUBE BAR TAPES"? The funniest phone cranks ever recorded. The tape circulated around the Tri- state area in the early 90's. It's a freakin riot. It's one of those friend of a friend type things. In the late 80's, early 90's , In New Jersey, This guy in a rock band started harrassing the owner of a bar called the "TUBE BAR"( appearently it was in close proximity to several of the many tunnels in the area.) The owner(RED) jerked the band around over money or something, so this guy from the band startes making hundreds........hundreds of cranks to this bar, recording most of them. He sends the owner (RED) thru the roof. The Jerky boys are a wet dream to this! As amatter of fact, I've even found portions the tape on the internet in mp3 form. I have a copy on the tape buried some where, I'll try to find it and try to transferit to mp3 format. I've never heard anything like it! F U N N Y !

Last edited:

King_Stannis

Explorer
Umbran said:
...Still, having fun at another's expense. Yeah, top shelf humor, there. We're supposed to grow out of that nonsense in high school.

Just to clarify, I don’t prank call anymore. I gave that up a long time ago. That doesn’t mean, however, I can’t appreciate a well thought-out prank – which is a long way from harassment. People calling and hanging up 50 times in one day is not pranking, it’s harassment and I agree that it isn’t right. But having some guy with a German accent calling you once or once in a while, asking “is it safe”, is fine by me.

Hell, you can just *69 their a$$ anyway if it gets too much.

Slacker

First Post
At about the age of 13 or 14, some friends and I went through our crank call phase.

Slacker: Hello, I'd like to speak to someone about joining.

Operator: Who is this? I'm sorry, but you don't sound like you're old enough to join Gamblers Anonymous.

Slacker: You wanna bet?!

:D

Barak

First Post
Bah... I only did one true prank call in my life, and it was to someone I knew. I was about 14, and that guy we knew was a real.. pain. Always trying to prove he was better then everyone. His deal at one point was his baseball card collection. One of my friend had his phone number, so I called him one saturday evening, passing myself as the owner of a local hobby shop that dealt sport cards. It was relatively late (like 10PM), and his mom answered, saying that the kid was in bed. Well I convinced her to wake him up. When he came to the phone, I told him that I had heard through the grapevine about his collection, and could he come in the next day with his cards? He might get a job out of it. When he asked me how come I'd be there on a sunday (turns out the store was closed on sundays, I didn't know) I told him I was gonna be doing inventory. Anyway, we ended up hanging up, with me vaguely telling him I'd be at the store the next day betwee 11am and 2pm. Well. Next day, I'm on my way to go play hockey with my buddies at 10:30 or so, and who's in front of the store with his two huge boxes of cards, waiting hopefully? Yep, mr Dork himself.

That was nice. :) These days I use my powers on telemarketers only.

Anakin

First Post
I dunno where I saw/heard it (had to be on TV or something), but one guy handled telemarketing calls as though he really enjoyed them. He made the telemarketer stay on the phone, telling him about saving 72% on his newspapers (or whatever), until he was "done". it was classic.

Holy Bovine

First Post
King_Stannis said:
i must say i'm a little surprised at the backlash crank phone calls are getting. ).

i would much rather be on the end of a well thought out prank than be bothered by a telemarketer.

so lighten up, and give the prankster his due! it's fun to laugh at other people's expense! :)

Holy Hamster Spit this seems like a rerun of the 'joke police' thread from a few weeks back!

Blech! Let's not get into the whole 'who thinks what is funny' thing again.

I love beating up on telemarketers (in a verbal sort of way) and any pranks you play on them is fair game to me.

TB - those two you quoted were pure 99.9999% fine Comedy Gold!

I haven't seen or even heard of Crank Yankers before but if its got Super Dave Osboure in it I'd love to check it out. Have to try that Kazaa search for those. (although the puppet thing sounds a little silly).

Here in London a local FM station used to do this thing where when a telemarketer would call the station (or anyone at the station) they would put the person on hold. They would come back every 5 minutes or so to the telemarketer saying that they were ready to hear all about the deal then put them on hold agin (these parts were broadcast). They had one guy on hold for over 45 minutes one time (most would be on hold for 10-25 minutes). The DJ reasoned that if the telemarketer was stuck on hold they couldn'y bother the audience.

Another 'prank' call was to call convience stores and have a caller try and guess how many times the DJ could get the clerk to say 'hello' - but the DJ was only allowed to say 'hello'. The highest I ever heard was 19 times.

Really these are harmless - I would have to see the show to really say if they were doing harmless stuff or mean and vindictive stuff (which is very possible with this kind of prank)

King_Stannis

Explorer
Holy Bovine said:
...I haven't seen or even heard of Crank Yankers before but if its got Super Dave Osboure in it I'd love to check it out. Have to try that Kazaa search for those. (although the puppet thing sounds a little silly).

well, they have to find some way to bring the medium of the prank call to TV. i think it works surprisingly well. certainly better than watching footage of the actual person making the call in a studio somewhere.

by the way, was that 95.9 FM that did that with the telemarketers?

Holy Bovine

First Post
King_Stannis said:

well, they have to find some way to bring the medium of the prank call to TV. i think it works surprisingly well. certainly better than watching footage of the actual person making the call in a studio somewhere.

That is true. I just (for some bizarre reason) pictured it as sock puppets - really lame looking ones too. Although that i guess would have some comedy potential too :D
by the way, was that 95.9 FM that did that with the telemarketers? [/B]

Yup, those are the guys.

King_Stannis

Explorer
they are legit puppets, with real sets that fit the motif of the call. check it out, it's on at 10:30 sunday nights on comedy central - if you guys get it up there.

i thought it might be 95.9, by the way. great station, beats the pants off of most of our radio in erie.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads