• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT, don't move] Go see Signs.

Twin Rose

First Post
Tetsubo said:
I apologize. I never meant to call anyone elses belief in crop circles into question. I don't believe they are anything but human art. And as art many are astounding. If others believe they are more, great. I really didn't mean to upset anyone.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm certainly not upset. I am just skeptical enough to believe that without some sort of technological assistance, no human could make representations of complex mathematics in wheat without breaking a single blade in under an hour (in some instances). Anyone with a scientific, or skeptical, mind should also question that possibility and wonder what sort of technology WAS used. It certainly wasn't a board and some ropes - not unless they were RUNNING and there were a couple hundred of them ... ANd I would question the validity that that many people could sneak around a wheat field, even at night, without any tracks or without the farmer noticing.

Tetsubo

First Post
I think that in my head crop circles have the same place as Nessie and Big Foot. Things that would be Really Cool if real. But I just haven't seen enough data (and yes I have read a bit about all three topics) to make me doubt the "human agent" theory for crop circles. Maybe it is something more complex. Magnetic fields, high technology tests, spirits, etc. Actually a nanotech plague might be an interesting gaming plot idea...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I actually agree with you, Testubo.

Regardless, I still love the movie.

If crop circles were present in some schlocky ID4-style flick, yeah it'd be kinda trite like "Look, we did research...nurrrr!"

But the movie ain't about frickin' crop circles. :)

******SPOLIER (minor)*******

If you're interested, the corp circles in the movie occur virtually overnight in hundreds of cities accross the globe. "Most Elaborate Hoax Ever" or something a bit more.

In this case, quite obviously, it's something a bit more.

But like I said, the movie ain't about frickin' crop circles. :)

**********END*************

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
Tetsubo said:

That's it. You've found me out. I confess. I'll return the money that my opinion cost you. Oh, right... it's just my opinion. You could have ignored it...

Hmm, I don't recall mentioning money.
I do however agree with old Johann.

"Nothing is as terrible to see as ignorance in action." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I believe in Crop Circles. Why? Well, they're right there, they're frickin' huge! What's not to believe? :)

Do I know what made them? Nope, and I'm not saying it's little green men, the government testing a magnetic/sonic superweapon, but it wasn't some dude with a wooden plank either.

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about the movie. I hope I didn't hijack it too badly. :(

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
I'm kinda with Testubo here. I have a hard time connecting with the premise because I do know where crop circles come from.

But anywho, sorry but the thread is being moved. I understand what you're trying to do, but if we left one thread up 'cause you want to urge people to see it' then others would be wanting the same.

So ... *boing*

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Bwahahahaha!

Griswold said:
If your interested in crop circles and think they are all made by people with boards and rope, check this site out

http://www.lovely.clara.net/homepg.html

good movie by the way!

Gris.

Ah yes. The ever-present "scholarly" personal home page that presents "well-researched" essays that don't have a shred of documentation. I especially enjoy the vague swipes at that eternal bugaboo Catholicism, nearly every conspiracy theorist's favorite whipping boy. Linking Newton to secularism (another favorite whipping boy) was also inspired and utterly lacking any historical basis.

Regarding the film and aliens, "Signs" is probably a wonderful movie, but there are no aliens. Decades of research by the likes of SETI, et cetera, have yet to come close to undoing the damage done by Enrico Fermi in the summer of 1950.

And, since I'm a stickler for documentation:

http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft0203/articles/heeren.html

CWD

First Post
While I don't dobut many are fake, I'm willing to consider the possibility that there may have been some strange natural process behind the less outrageous patterns.

Here's a link I came across today:

http://www.forteantimes.com/gallery/mowingdevil.shtml

Now, I may be crazy, but I don't think performance art was very popular in 1678! That's not to say this circle wasn't man made, but this phenomenon has apparently been going on for a LONG time.

Remove ads