• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Egypt book suggestions

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Salutations,

Is there any book suggestions you fellow geeks can make on Egypt?

I am interested in two areas-

fighting styles (personal and mass)
folk lore and stories (I have enough dictionary-style info on the gods)

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Respectfully submitted
FD

Irysangel

First Post
Don't know about fighting styles...

But look up Pauline Gedge, as she does a slew of fiction books based on Egypt. It honestly depends on which kingdom you are searching for. Old Kingdom? Middle? New? Hyksos Invasion? Post-Rome?

Sulimo

First Post
If you're into historical fiction, there's a couple of authors I know of you could look at:

Judith Tarr - shes written stuff on a hoard of subjects, some of 'em Egytpian (the usual suspects - Alexander; Antony/Cleopatra; Hatshepsut; Akenahten).

Christian Jacq - a cool series about Ramses II.

Checking my local library's catalog, the following might have something useful:

The literature of ancient Egypt : an anthology of stories, instructions, and poetry / edited, with an introd. by William Kelly Simpson and translations by R. O. Faulkner, Edward F. Wente, Jr. [and] William Kelly Simpson .Published New Haven, Yale University Press, 1973.

Aldred, Cyril. The Egyptians. Published London : Thames and Hudson, c1987.

Metz, Barbara. Red land, black land : the world of the ancient Egyptians. Published London : Hodder and Stoughton, c1966

Shaw, Ian. Egyptian Warfare and Weapons (Shire Egyptology)

Here's also a link to a list books onancient warfare.

Last edited:

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
(takes a quick look at the leaning bookshelves)

While I have a ton of books that cover Egyptian military and such in general detail, the best one I have that goes into the detail that I think you want is from the Osprey Campaign Series, #22 in specific. It's titled "Qadesh 1300BC" and covers the earliest battle that can be reliably documented. It's packed with pictures, diagrams, and text explaining tactics of the time and the weaponry and such of the armies. The ISBN is 1-85532-300-1, the author is Mark Healy, and again, the title is "Qadesh 1300 BC: Clash of the Warrior Kings." It's part of the Osprey Military Campaign Series, #22.

As for literature and folklore, here are a couple suggestions:

Ancient Egyptian Literature, Vol. I: The Old and Middle Kingdoms and Vol. II, The New Kingdom, both by Miriam Lichtheim. Found both of these at a used bookstore. ISBNs are 0-520-02899-6 and 0-520-03615-8, respectively.

Also, I found a hardcover in the bargain bin at Books-a-Million titled "Egyptian Myths and Legends," by Donald A. MacKenzie. ISBN is 0-517-11915-3.

Those should help, but if you're looking for more, let me know and I'll see if I can come up with some more titles. :)

Aitch Eye

First Post
W.M. Flinders Petrie translated 10 ancient "literary folktales" in the book Egyptian Tales. Dover has an edition of it in print, and you can find a 15 page excerpt at Amazon. It was done in 1895, so it might not be up to standards of current scholarship, but that might not matter for game purposes. The stories were also reprinted in Who's Who In Egyptian Mythology by Anthony S. Mercante.

Last edited:

Remove ads