• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OT Food) I nee a pasta sauce for tonight!

D-rock

First Post
This might sound like heresy but I would just use the sauce right out of the jar that you buy at the supermarket. They are one of the few things that I actually think taste better than something homemade. If you want just put a bunch of stuff on the table to make it look like you cooked it up yourself.;)

Wicht

Hero
D-rock said:
This might sound like heresy but I would just use the sauce right out of the jar that you buy at the supermarket. They are one of the few things that I actually think taste better than something homemade. If you want just put a bunch of stuff on the table to make it look like you cooked it up yourself.;)

Either your taste buds are petrified or you have never had good homemade sauce. IMO of course :D

Tsyr

Explorer
Wicht said:
Tsyr, one question - ground ginger or fresh in your sauce?

I use ground, but mostly because I don't use enough to really warrent keeping fresh on hand. I see no reason it wouldn't work with fresh.

Note to Pielorinho: There was a typo in my original recipie... It should be 3/4 cup onion. I have no idea how that got mauled to 1/3 cup, but I fixed it.

Tsyr

Explorer
D-rock said:

You're right.

It is heresy.

:D

theT0rmented

Explorer
Guillaume, I have almost the same recipe as you! My friend is Italian, living in Canada now, and his grandmother sent him this recipe:

* Chop up 4-5 Roma tomatoes.
* Put a generous quantity of olive oil in pan (wok is what I use; big and deep)
* Chop up 1 onion (or 2 whatever you like)
* Add some garlic (1-2 cloves to taste)
* Add the tomatoes.
* Add some V8 vegetable juice (enough to give it a more saucy look)
* Add whatever vegetables you like (mushrooms, green onions for color, etc...)
* Add meat if you want.
* Basil. Basil is good in tomato sauce. :)
* Salt/pepper to taste.

Let simmer until you get the desired thickness.

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
I made this one last night:

take one onion, cut and saute in skillet.
add one clove of the biggest fscking garlic you've ever seen.
brown 2 pounds ground beef (lean) in skillet.
add 4 cups water, and lasagnia hamburger helper noodles and spices
add one can tomato sauce
one can diced tomatos
3/4 bag of egg noodles
one can chedder cheese soup
half a green pepper, chopped
half a red pepper, chopped
one can mushrooms (and only one can because your wrist is about to fall off from opening cans)
salt, ground black pepper, suger, basil leaves and honey to taste
let simmer, stiring occasionally

MMMmmmmmm! Usually, when I make pasta sauce, I cook spicy. This was sweet, (no, really :p) not spicy at all.

Next time I think I'm going to skip the hamburger helper though. I'll just double the tomato sauce and diced tomatos and add a whole bag of egg noodles. I'm also thinking about what to put in for texture. Robin and I talked about it a little as we ate last night. Some suggestions were: Celery, Carrots, Bambo and Water Chestnuts.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Most of the recepies here look great. I would advise using a couple of bay leaves in the sauce (yuo dont mince or eat the leaves) as it simmers (this will smooth the flavor). For bread I suggest a french bagette for something a bit fancier than your everyday garlic bread.

Now if you are feeling very adventursome you could add in some braciole (roughly pronounced brijoles as far as my family knows).

Basically get some round steak (tops and bottoms) about a quarter inch thick from your butcher. Flatten them out and flavor with slices of garlic, accent, oregano, and romano cheese. roll them up and tie them (kind of like a roast). Brown them in a pan with olive oil then drop them into the sauce until they are fully cooked.

The trick is to make sure the steak is throughly tied shut so nothing gets out. Kind of awkward to take the string off after but WELL worth the efforts. The meat will be super tendor and rich and flakes apart easily. =)

Forgive my numerous spelling errors (I'm at work and don't actually have the recepie in front of me).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Okay, since Seri's dinner is over, I'll try to hijack this thread for my own nefarious purposes....

I have a garden. I have tomato plants. I have tomato plants that are currently putting out something like 6 to 12 tomatoes a day. I am drowning in wonderful, luscious, home-grown fresh tomatoes. I must use them before they go bad, not because of monetary waste, but because I'll feel like a dork for not using that potential.

So, folks have put forth a bunch of sauce recipes. Anyone got a favorite non-sauce tomato recipe they want to share?

JayOmega

First Post
Umbran said:
Okay, since Seri's dinner is over, I'll try to hijack this thread for my own nefarious purposes....

I have a garden. I have tomato plants. I have tomato plants that are currently putting out something like 6 to 12 tomatoes a day. I am drowning in wonderful, luscious, home-grown fresh tomatoes. I must use them before they go bad, not because of monetary waste, but because I'll feel like a dork for not using that potential.

So, folks have put forth a bunch of sauce recipes. Anyone got a favorite non-sauce tomato recipe they want to share?

I've got the same garden. A dozen tomatoes sitting on my kitchen counter as I type. I usually just eat them plain; slice them, add salt & pepper, eat. Grill the animal of your choice to eat with them. Uses 1 large tomato per meal.

Second method: BLT sandwiches. Toast your favorite 54-grain bread (or whatever number your local grocery is up to now), fry bacon (none of that sissy "turkey bacon" or any other imitations), add lettuce leaves & tomato slices. Uses two large tomatoes per meal.

Third method: szechuan stir-fry. Quarter the smaller tomatoes, add to random stir-fry recipe in place of one of the other veggies. Uses 2-3 smaller tomatoes per meal. This is a last resort; cooking fresh tomatoes is a petty misdemeanor in Minnesota. I think you're allowed to can them if you get up to having 50 of them sitting on your counter. :) Otherwise, you take them in to work to share with the three people in the office who don't garden and aren't also swimming in fresh tomatoes.

Oh, and don't refrigerate them to try to get them to ripen slower; getting them cold ruins them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads