• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Going to University as Mature Student

Brekke

First Post
I too am going back school. I will be 46 this December and I am a little spooked the last time I was in school Ronald Regan was president. But this as always been a dream of mine. I had to wait until my son was old enough to be on his own. I have been busy being a single mother since I was 20.

The way I look at it I did things backwards had my id realy earlier and didn't get a chance to go to school or do anything else for that matter.

For example I just started gaming about five years ago and I have starting doing other hobbies as well, by view is this it is only to late to do something once you are dead.

maransreth

Explorer
I finished my first degree 7 years ago and I went straight from high school to uni. And the degree was a basic Bachelor of Arts (although it was majoring in German and Russian (both language and history/culture).

After working indifferent jobs and not finding what I like I am back again at uni doing a second undergraduate course in Business. Studying part-time as I need to support myself and wife and not eligible for any government assistance. Just finished my first year part-time and still have 5 to go, so I'll be 33 when I finish and hopefully in a job that I want to do (Human Resources).

Have to tell you though that working fulltime, studying part-time and some type of social life really cuts into your roleplaying time. :cool:

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
B00005JM1F.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Have fun, man!

Seriously, though, all the best luck to you. I'm 27, not doing exactly what I want to do, and I am considering going back to school as well.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Wippit Guud said:
Anyone here ever gone to University well after graduating from whatever?

Well, sort of. Probably not quite what you were looking for, but still...

Last year, I graduated with a diploma in physics from my old university.

This January, I was drafted. And what unit was I sent to after basic training?

The German Armed Forces University in Munich...

Maraxle

First Post
My girlfriend went back to get her masters (in a COMPLETELY different field from her bachelors degree) at age 23. That's not too much older, but even she sees a change in the way she views her studies. She's loving it so far.

Personally, I went and got my BS in Management Information Systems straight out of high school, graduated a semester early, and got good grades balanced with moderate level of partying. I would like to go back to school, as I would love to switch job tracks and become a teacher, but as much as I disliked college the first time around I'm not sure I want to subject myself to it again. I have a few years to decide, though, as I wouldn't want to go back at the same time as the girlfriend. Someone needs to pay the mortgage.

Torillan

First Post
Airwolf said:
To this day I still don't know how I got such a big blessing but as the old saying goes "don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

Good luck in your school!

Well, Airwolf, it sounds like your boss realized how much more valuable you would be with the degree. He/She saw good things in you, and so made the offer.

As for me, I'm 35 and just starting Nursing school. I've been married for 12 years and have two kids. I've been in Film & Video Post-production for about 15 years now, but the economy hit the industry hard (as others, I'm sure). Healthcare is where the jobs (and job security) are right now. Two years of school, and I can become an RN, which means good pay, and possible signing bonus!!

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I am 31 and am starting school again this fall also. It has been about 7 years since my last stint in the Educational system, but even then I noticed that the mature students do a lot better in class.

Has a lot to do with NEVER wanting to get back into the same line of work I just got fired from.

EVER.

:)

jdavis

First Post
Yea at 32 I decided that the Masters Degree might of been a good idea (The higher you can climb up the totum pole the less likely you are to get laid off). Money is always a issue but being that I wasn't working at the time anyway it seemed to be a good idea. The first semester was hard but I fell back into the swing of things. I started my Master's degree last fall and I have to take one class this fall (and oral/written comps). Miss a year of work, double salary when I go back to work, pretty good deal to me, besides I wasn't working at the time anyway.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads