• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OT: Gunslinger / DarkTower / S. King

N Hammer

First Post
Little sisters of Eluria", originally appeared in another book of short stories a couple years ago....I don't remember what it's called........It had a bunch of popular authors writing short stories based on their popular creations (Robert Jordon had a short story based in the Wheel of Time world)

brak1

Amateur Fortean
Best bet for updates on the King stuff is www.stephenking.com. You can even read an excerpt/prologue for Wolves of the Calla there now.

If you haven't read Black House (or the Talisman for that matter) I highly suggest you do, as they both have very direct connections to Roland's world (I think the main character in Black House even wakes up in the Little Sister's tent at one point).

And the Legends series IS very good. The second volume contains a George R. R. Martin story based in his Song of Ice and Fire series (another fantastic series, highly reccomended).

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
This is a great series. I once tried a Gunslinger RPG based on TSR's Boot Hill rules, but I did a lot of tinkering. Maybe I could give it the d20 treatment though...

Sure would be fun.

Drawing of the Three is my favorite of the four books.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I absolutely love this series. I do have a confession though. I've been stalled out in the middle of Wizard and Glass for a couple years. I'll read it the rest of the way through before the new books come out though.

My favorite so far is definitely The Wasteland, with the Drawing of the Three being my least favorite in the series. My reason is that the first book was extremely cool, but his writing style was so unrefined back then, I mean it was his first project, that it was hard to follow at times. The Drawing of the Three was also good, but what I disliked about it is that too much of it takes place in our own world. What I like best about the series is that otherworldly feel, and the notion that the world itself has somehow shifted and changed. This is somewhat lost in The Drawing of the Three, but I find the writing style is a little easier to get through than the first book. The Wastelands is great because we're back in Roland's World, or at least what's left of it, SK's writing style is excellent in this book, and the story is captivating. I'm reserving judgment on Wizard and Glass until I've actually read all the way through it.

I can't wait for 5 - 7 to come out. I was beginning to think that SK would kick off before getting these finished. That would have been a let down, but also the most intriguing body of work from a person that can only be described as a very prolific writer.

Lady Starhawk

First Post
I must admit I have owned these for a long time, but just this week have started reading the first one.

I do enjoy his works, and I admit I don't read as much of his stuff as I used to, but I seem to be getting bored with his newer stuff. But it could just be my tastes have changed.

I have only read one S.K. book multiple times, and it's one that most people don't seem to know about, "The Eyes of the Dragon" it's a fantasy novel and wonderful :) I can only hope that the dark tower books are as good as it. SO far I am not disappointed :). I finished eyes of the dragon a few days ago (for the 4th time) and started the first Dark Tower book immideately after.

LAters,
Lady Starhawk

Lucias

First Post
DT

This is one of my all-time favorite series of books! It just keeps getting better.

Especially interesting to note in the meta-plot that King has been weaving through his books in recent years. We've known for some time that some characters were and themes existed in many novels (Randall Flagg for instance), but in the last 10 years, King has taken this to the extreme. Roland appeard briefly in "Insomnia" in a scene that has yet to play out in the DT series and in "Black House" (one of King's best, IMHO) we learn more about what's happening in the DT series than any of the Dark Tower books have ever cared to explain.

Anyone else noticed this?

Khorod

First Post
For some reason I have never much like SK books. But I love Dark Tower. I missed the first one though- should I go back to it now that I have read the others?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads