• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] How Proud I am of NYC

Seule

Explorer
Re: What About Everywhere Else?

Mark the Hammer said:
Just in case you might not have heard (just kidding) and contrary to the news coverage, there are other major cities that are in the same situation as NYC....

Contrary to what seems to be the US news coverage, there is another country affected as well, and not just in the blaming way.
Pretty much all of Ontario, the most populous province in Canada, was blacked out, and I know that the power is far from completely back on.
In Guelph, we've had rotating power as opposed to rotating blackouts. This today at noon 10% of the city had power, and an hour ago half the city was powered. We got power at 3:25 today, after 23 1/4 hours without, and we are still likely to lose it again at least once. They are predicting blackouts for a week, while they recover.

I suppose the above could seem bitter. I've been without cool air for 28 hours now, and probably won't put the AC back on for days. The less power I use, the more people will get power, so I have a fan on, a light, the TV, and the fridge. This laptop is running off battery power.
I implore everyone in affected areas, use as little power as possible. It could give someone who needs it access that little bit earlier. Air Conditioners are the biggest draw.

--Seule

Dr. Confoundo

First Post
Re: My bad, sorry

Larry Fitz said:
Second, Even before 9/11 New Yorkers were cool. Back when the officers who had a run in with Rodney King were acquitted there was rioting in many U.S. cities, in New York there was a spontaneous peaceful march from Harlem to city hall. I know because I was on the street when it happened.

Just for the record, I was in college in San Francisco when the Rodney King verdict took place. A number of my friends went downtown to participate in a similar 'peaceful march', and for the most part, it was peaceful... until the cops in riot gear started pushing people around. Often, the difference between a peaceful protest and a violent one is determined by police response.

Doc

Krieg

First Post
diaglo said:

you need to get better dice. ;)

my BAB sucks and i can still hit it. :D

*slow blink* I'm sorry...did you just say BAB?!?!

I can't find that term anywhere on my combat tables!

You disapoint me diaglo, catering to the masses like that.

;)

schporto said:

And amazingly they're not rioting either.
Yay, North-eastern US!

Ironically enough Toronto & Ottawa both have reports of looting.

Those Canadians, always starting trouble unlike us peaceful Americans. :p

(There is looting in Detroit as well...but as Detroit is the city of the damned I'll let it pass.)

Wow. In Detroit, we're proud that there apparently was only limited looting downtown. We also seem to be the last major metropolitan area to get back on track with power, from the sound of things.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything, but since it seems to be a subtext in the thread, I'm 31...

Acmite

First Post
Re: Re: What About Everywhere Else?

Seule said:

Contrary to what seems to be the US news coverage, there is another country affected as well, and not just in the blaming way.
Pretty much all of Ontario, the most populous province in Canada, was blacked out, and I know that the power is far from completely back on.
In Guelph, we've had rotating power as opposed to rotating blackouts. This today at noon 10% of the city had power, and an hour ago half the city was powered. We got power at 3:25 today, after 23 1/4 hours without, and we are still likely to lose it again at least once. They are predicting blackouts for a week, while they recover.

I suppose the above could seem bitter. I've been without cool air for 28 hours now, and probably won't put the AC back on for days. The less power I use, the more people will get power, so I have a fan on, a light, the TV, and the fridge. This laptop is running off battery power.
I implore everyone in affected areas, use as little power as possible. It could give someone who needs it access that little bit earlier. Air Conditioners are the biggest draw.

--Seule

We got power back at around 4:30am. Despite the warnings about intermittent blackouts, it doesn't appear that my part of Waterloo was affected. Although Kitchener was hit mid-afternoon.

[sidetrack] Seule, did you get my email? [/sidetrack]

Acmite

First Post
Piratecat said:
(And Arthur, I'm 36. Clearly, my life of debauchery is corroding the portrait I keep locked in my attic. :p )

I'm sad to say that if it weren't for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, I would have completely missed this reference.

I think I need to read some novels. Soon. Too many scientific journals...... ;)

(I'm 24 and I've been a gamer since '88-'89)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads