• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] I have a right to sell my virtual items, damn it!!!

Zappo

Explorer
I don't think this BSI guys have many chances. No matter how idealistic they sound, a player's character, items, and whatnot belong to the company that owns the game, and if they don't want them to be sold... I think it's a bit of a legal gray area, but Mythic has the edge.

Personally, I don't like people buying MMORPG stuff online. I feel it's like cheating those who actually play and who can't afford it. Then again, I don't like MMORPGs at all.

MythandLore

First Post
I think it's really lame that they think they should be able to control the selling of "fake" stuffs and accounts.
What are companies going to try and do next, patent human DNA?
Oh wait, to late.

BTW I have never played a MMORPGs (?) and never will.
But I still think what they are trying to do is lame.

Last edited:

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
It's derivitive material. I couldn't print up my D&D character and try to sell it, without following the D20 rules. WOTC owns the copyright for everything created based upon there work. Same thing here.

MythandLore

First Post
DarwinofMind said:
It's derivitive material. I couldn't print up my D&D character and try to sell it, without following the D20 rules. WOTC owns the copyright for everything created based upon there work. Same thing here.
But you could fill out a WotC made character sheet and sell that.

Zappo

Explorer
MythandLore said:
But you could fill out a WotC made character sheet and sell that.
Yeah, but only because of the OGL. You can't do it with, say, a Vampire sheet, and you can't do it with a videogame character.

MythandLore

First Post
Zappo said:
Yeah, but only because of the OGL. You can't do it with, say, a Vampire sheet, and you can't do it with a videogame character.
That makes no sense, that's like saying I can't highlight a text book and sell it.
What's the diffrence between selling someone a blank character sheet and a filled out one?
What's the diffrence between selling someone a unused game cartridge and a one with characters at the end of the game saved on it?
This is insane.

Zappo

Explorer
MythandLore -> Ah, ok, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about a photocopied character sheet. No, if you buy a character sheet you can do whatever you want with it, save copying it (well, you can copy it, but only for personal use). I think. Probably. Though IANAL.

But, all MMORPGs I know say in the license agreement that characters remain property of the company that made the game. Even if that wasn't explictly told, a court could easily consider the character as a derivative work of the program, and therefore a proprierty of Mythic (since, remember, you never own the program, but only the right to use it).

Krug

Newshound
Psst...

Pssst. Anyone wanna buy a 20th level Barbarian? Comes with Vorpal Axe and Winter Wolf herd. :D

Frostmarrow

First Post
*Dons asbestos suit*

I think the copyright laws need to be reviewed and rewritten. Some of the basic rights of the author are too extensive in my opinion. If I write a song I will have the rights for that song for my entire life. Thereafter my family can collect revenue from the sales of that song for another 70 years! (I think it's 70 years but it differs slightly whether you are an author or a composer.)

Now, since my song is spread through the global village much faster nowadays than what they did when the laws were written I think 70 years is too much. Writing an evergreen on a sunny afternoon shouldn't make you a billionaire, should it? Since a movie need to make a profit after two weeks to be a success I figure you should keep copyrights for... say a month. After which time the film becomes public domain.

Who cares about copyright anyway when everything is digital? I mean, I never steal copyrighted material ( I have a few PD mp3s) but why should I pay for the hordes of pirates that visits Direct Connect, Morpheus or AudioGalaxy every day? There are millions upon millions of digital thieves in the world. Clearly copying is something everybody does, therfore in the sake of fairness it should be a democratic right for all.

Every artist is a cannibal
Every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration
and sing about their grief
-The Fly, U2-

Remove ads