[OT... I think] Vancouver, BC groups / stores

Bubbledragon

First Post
I remember there used ot be a board for this kind of thing here, or not. I'm rather new here. Regardless, if this is the wrong place, please don't flay me alive!

Basically, I'm looking to see if there are any major Vancouver d20 groups around. My current group looks to be fading, from both a time and difference standpoint. Personally not fond of the min/max style game at all, and running stuff just hasn't been enjoyable.

But... if there are open groups in the area and all, I'd be really interested in joining up. I'm on the North part of Burnaby and limited to bus. Whee. :)

As well, where are the best stores in the city as well? I only know of Golden Age Collectibles.

Bubbles

Holy Bovine

First Post
There used to be a Gamers - Seeking - Gamers forum but looking around I can't seem to find it anymore. General is probably the best place or ask a Moderator over in the Meta forum where is the best place to finds groups/players.

That being said I can't help you with your actual problem :D

Good luck I'm sure there will be a few people around here from BC/Burnaby as there were many "BCians" on the old boards.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Golden Age is the best gaming store I've found in Vancouver, though since I live downtown and don't drive my searching ability is limited. There is also The Games People in Gastown, but I don't recommend them. Their stock is limited and the help are without a clue. If you're looking for old stuff they're a good place to go browse around. Be warned though, they charge full price even for stuff that's five years old!

Likewise the used book store on Granville between Davie and Drake (just down from the Ramada Inn and the Morissey) sometimes has crates of old game books at pretty good prices.

I run a d20 campaign (site link below), but we're not really looking for new players and we always play downtown so I don't know how much help that is to you. But good luck and let me know how it turns out for you.

GreyOne

Explorer
I've seen lots of decent stores close over the years. The best one I've ever seen is Imperial Hobbies in Richmond (No 3 Road) . Its absolutely huge, well established and has everything you can imagine. I live in Coquitlam so I don't get there much. There's a decent comic/game store I go to in Port Moody called Hourglass Comics.

There's also the Comic Shop on West 4th near Arbutus. Its good too.

My gaming buds are kind of cliquey/closet gamers. I'm nor sure you'd want to play in a group like that.

Anyway, I'd like to know how you do.

A'koss

Explorer
I'll chime in here as well for the Comicshop on 4th and Arbutus. They'll be closer for you than Richmond and the last time I checked their selection was better thatn Golden Age.

Unfortunately I have a full group (and others who are on a kind of waiting list) so I'm afraid I can't help you there. :(

Cheers,

A'koss!

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Imperial Hobbies is the best game store in the area (and damn close to being the best game store I've ever been to). Knowledgeable, enthusiastic staff; insanely huge selection of both out of print and just-released stuff, and a good parking situation.

The Comic Shop on 4th avenue is a close second. Parking is a bitch though.

Golden Age is good. Nothing really wrong per se, but Imperial Hobbies has raised the bar pretty high.

As for a group, I have just laid my 3E campiagn aside in favor of GURPS, so It looks like I can't help you.

omedon

First Post
I usually visit the Comic Shop on 4th as it is rather close to me. It has a good selection of miniatures and has all the WOTC stuff as well as a good selection of D20 products. The second hand store on davie barsoomcore mentioned is the ABC Book & Comic Emporium. I have been to Golden Age Collectibles but I didn't see very much there.

omedon

First Post
Teflon Billy could you please post the location of Imperial Hobbies; I would like to check them out some time. The only decent game store I have found in vancouver is The Comic Shop.

Remove ads