• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] If I read the term "crunchy bits" one more time...

your_mother

Explorer
Future Crunchy Bits

In a hundred years, when future generations are sifting through the digital remnants of this thread, they will look to the sky and ask, "Crunchy Bits?"

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
I'm tired of the term too, but I know well enough that we gamers cling to worn out terms and phrases and run them into the ground and start digging once we hit bedrock.

It also bugs me that phrases and moments from assorted media find their way into games and seem to reside there permanently. For instance, I've been gaming for 15+ years, and have never been in a RPG session where at least one player didn't quote (often to excess) Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

And the latest gamer darling I've heard and read everywhere is the line from Fellowship of the Ring, "They come in pints?" I mean really, folks, some originality would be nice!

Rant over. :)

King_Stannis

Explorer
Scribe Ineti said:
I'm tired of the term too, but I know well enough that we gamers cling to worn out terms and phrases and run them into the ground and start digging once we hit bedrock.

It also bugs me that phrases and moments from assorted media find their way into games and seem to reside there permanently. For instance, I've been gaming for 15+ years, and have never been in a RPG session where at least one player didn't quote (often to excess) Monty Python and the Holy Grail...

when i first started cruising the old sight (early 2001), one of the earliest threads i remember was one entitled "people who quote monty python at the gaming table should be shot!". it was a lot of fun. anyone remember who started that one?

anyway, i agree. throw "crunchy bits" in with "orc and pie" and all other things that are amusing once, tiring the second time, and annoying all other times after. one exception to this is hatten ardin. that is just so bizarre that it will always be either disturbing or hilarious.

Selvarin

Explorer
In deference to Conan O' Brian, let's just refer to it as 'krunky' (as in "Those krunky books cost em a lotta dollars!").

Oh well, carry on. :)

roytheodd

First Post
Selvarin said:
In deference to Conan O' Brian, let's just refer to it as 'krunky' (as in "Those krunky books cost em a lotta dollars!").

Oh well, carry on. :)

Ah, now that's something I can do. I thought I was one of the few to still retain memories of the word Krunk.

Wow, i thought i was the only one, so i never said anything. I really do hate the term though, i'm not sure why, but it reallly bugs me.

I never did figure out the orc and pie thing, or lemon curry for that matter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads