• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] In memory...

Balsamic Dragon

First Post
I only got to game with my brother James once.

He came up to visit me in Boston when he was 16 and ran a D&D game for me and my friends. It was extremely silly, we had a bug summoning wizard, a couple of con artists, a half-dryad. Me and a friend played a cleric and paladin of "Bjorn", a made-up norse-ish deity. My friend and I did the whole game in a really bad accent, and drank heavily (in character), and made up bizzarre religious customs like throwing every other drink (mug included) over our shoulder in libation. When the mysterious stranger in the tavern offered to buy us a drink, we said "yah, you must buy us two drinks, one for us and one for Bjorn!"

James was able to come up to Boston for my wedding a short time later. My three brothers and my brother-in-law held the four poles for the huppah (a jewish covering like a little tent) over my husband and I. James was thrilled to get to wear a tuxedo and spent most of the wedding with one hand in his jacket, like James Bond ready to pull out a gun and defend the wedding party from terrorists. He also, unlike me, loved to be in photos. When we got the pictures back, we would have pictures of all of the relatives on my husband's mother's side of the family,... and James; all of my husband's cousins, ... and James. Grinning widely in every picture.

Three and a half months ago, James disappeared. He was 19 and a freshman in college. His friends and his girlfriend and his family didn't know what had happened to him. During the time when they were investigating his disappearance, I spoke with one of the officers on the case. He said that his primary suspects were some of James' friends. According to him, they were suspicious characters because they had occult materials in their house. Books about Vampires. Dungeons & Dragons materials.

Just recently, they found James' body in the woods. He was murdered by thieves who stole his car to use in a bank robbery. Nineteen years old and killed for no reason at all.

I don't know more than a fraction of the people who will read this, but I know many of those who post. So I hope that you won't mind if I write these words, mostly just to get them out of my own head. If you pray, please pray for my brother. Or if not, then at least raise a glass to Bjorn. He was a great kid, and I miss him terribly.

Balsamic Dragon

Orco42

First Post
I am very sorry to hear that. Although I am sure it is very tough for you I am sure it is better to know what happened.

Holy Bovine

First Post
I am so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine the pain you must be feeling right now. Please accept the condolences of me and my family.

alsih2o

First Post
so sorry for your loss b.d, i have relayed this to my brother, and we plan to have a "toss one over you shoulder night" at his bar this eve.......that'll be about 100 people, mostly cops and ex-military flinging the juice in your brothers honor.

Remove ads