• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OT-Kicking The Little Guy or What Would You Do.

I am so miffed I can scream. Two summers ago, my wife had a surgery. Since then our insurance company went bankrupt, they settled with the doctor's office. Now, the doctor is taking us to court for the difference between the settlement and the remainder of the bill. This somehow does not seem legal to me. My wife got the surgery, only because we had insurance. I mean it's not our fault the insurance company went under. It's not our fault her boss picked an insurance company that goes out of business. What happened to the legal system in this country? It just burns me up, I have no idea what to do. My wife and I our poor college students. We don't have money to pay stuff like that. If we had money to pay for surgeries, we wouldn't carry insurance. Now, it seems like we are getting the shaft for what someone else did or didn't do. Is there anything we can do?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Sure! :) Give me the name, address, home phone #, and 500 dollars of unmarked, nonconsective bills to take care of the doctor...;) Oh and you never knew me. ;)

Nightfall said:
Sure! :) Give me the name, address, home phone #, and 500 dollars of unmarked, nonconsective bills to take care of the doctor...;) Oh and you never knew me. ;)

LOL, Nightfall you are too funny. Thanks for the offer, but at this point I'll have to decline.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*bows* Thank you my friend. :) I'm just sorry I cannot be of more help. Days like this make me long for when a fella could just settle this sort of thing with a battle axe! ;) Anyway I still think Old Uncle Willy was right "First thing we do is kill all the lawyers." Doctors we save for later! ;)

originally posted by Nightfall
Anyway I still think Old Uncle Willy was right "First thing we do is kill all the lawyers." Doctors we save for later!
Ah the Eagles...their lyrics still ring true. Terribly sorry for your insurance woes, though--lawyers are bad enough, but when you combine doctors AND lawyers...what a blood-sucking, brain-munching, spawn of evil you've got to deal with.

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Bonehoard Taffer said:
Is there anything we can do?

Salutations,

I will bite my tongue on my rant about displacing responsibility, but here is an option-

Write up a letter (and keep a copy) stating that you will pay the doctor $20 a month until it is paid off or until you two have better jobs and can afford to pay more. Then, send them $20 a month (by check or money order).

Then, if it does go to court- you have ammunition saying you two are being responsible for your debts and have been paying it off as best you could.

Of course, talking to a lawyer would not hurt either.

FD

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
You need to get legal advice. Try free legal clinics, friends who have a lawyer they know, even law students. Someone. Perhaps even someone in the medical community or the lawyers/arbitrators who had to deal with the company and doctors when they made the settlement.

You and your wife may not be the only ones who are being sued, either, if this company defaulted on the payments for a lot of patients. Maybe you can find others? Even a simple ad in the local paper asking if anyone is being sued by Doctor A after Insurance Company XYZ went under. Safety in numbers, and all that.

Good luck!

Tiberius

Explorer
Trevalon Moonleirion said:
originally posted by Nightfall

when you combine doctors AND lawyers...what a blood-sucking, brain-munching, spawn of evil you've got to deal with.

So mixing lawyers and doctors creates half-fiend vampiric illithid? <shiver> :p

-Tiberius

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads