• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OT, Life) Tutoring Job

Chriskaballa

First Post
So I'm 13. I'm an 8th grade math student doing 10th grade honors math. I've just been hired by someone to tutor a 5th grade girl in basic math. I know this is an ambiguous thing, but for those who have done this before, I ask: How much do I charge? I mean, it's basic math (multiplication & division) and I will be doing this for the first time, but I don't want to overcharge or undercharge. What do you all out there think is a fair price?

-Chris

Wolfspider

Explorer
I oversee a tutoring center at a community college. Tutors with MA degrees get paid $15 an hour. If they have a BA, it's $10. $5 for anything less.

I would say $5 an hour would be a fair price. You could probably get more--maybe even $10--I know I was back in my youth.

Good luck!

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
It depends on whether or not you "Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuvvvvvvv" her! :D

Just kidding, Chriskaballa! Congrats on the job. Figure your monthly gaming costs, divide by the number of tutoring hours, and start from there... ;)

Rybaer

First Post
Well, I did a similar thing to you, but I was a bit older when I started and had prior teaching experience through other activities. I was a senior in high school, taking calculus at the time. The student was in 7th grade, I believe. They offered me $10/hr for a single hour-long session a week. We occasionally had an extra session before tests.

As you're a bit younger, I think $5/hr would be appropriate. Especially while you're seeing how it works out.

Good luck and hope you enjoy the experience. Teaching others, even easy material, gives you a better fundamental understanding of how it works and can be quite rewarding.

-Rybaer

EverSoar

First Post
I tutored a girl in Grade 12 biology for $14(Australiian dollars) and hour.

Was harder than I thought it would be. It all sond perfect in my head, but trying to explaing evolution to someone who has trouble speaking english, is even harder.

Kiir

First Post
The various times in middle and high school that I tutored various people, from rd to 12th grade, I would charge about 10$ an hour. It is a resonable price a bit more than you would get if you were babysitting, but not by that much, and you are helping someone raise their grade in a subject they are having problems with, which will help them later in life.

Alejandro

First Post
How much are they offering? Do you know the family?

It's easy to charge a fixed price if you don't know them, but IMHO much better to do the first few sessions pro bono or for edible goodies if they're family friends. If they're wealthy and the job isn't too onerous, they'll probably give you more than you would have expected. If they're not so well off or the student is particularly challenging, you can back out of the situation since you didn't actually ask for compensation.

Tom Cashel

First Post
I'd say $10 isn't too exorbitant, provided they're not (as someone else posted) family friends...in that case tell them you'll start charging once you see how well she does on the next test. :) I volunteer as mentor to a fourth-grade student once a week (I'm 29). It's rewarding work, and if you can get paid, all the better.

BTW, Chriskaballa...after reading posters who take Star Wars to task, and others who accuse DMs of running campaigns that aren't "believable" enough, it's very refreshing to read [OT, life] in the subject line. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads