• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Local or Urban Legends

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Thou shalt not bump! :D

I think we can leave out the "elderly woman dries up her poodle in the microwave" and "babysitter gets obscene calls and police finds out they come from within the house - from the chamber where the babies sleep" ones out, yes? The ones you can summarize in one sentence because they ring a bell instantly?

Well, here are the ones I remember (for completeness's sake):
"Foreign guy buys cheap tinned meat which turns out to be dogfood"
"Guy gets stung in foreign country and insects/spiders crawl/fly out of the would a week later"
"Big spider or scorpion hidden in the flowerpot of some exotic plant"
"Folding chair swallows user and turns out to be colorful bird spider" (OK, that one's nonsense. Whoever says where that's from wins)

Bloodsparrow

First Post
KaeYoss said:
Well, here are the ones I remember (for completeness's sake)

Don't forget:
-Babysitter gets high, then cooks the baby and puts a raw turkey to bed.
-Guy gets drunk at a bar trying to pick up women. Wakes up in a bathtub of ice at a cheep motel to find his kidneys have been stolen.
-Stupid rich woman befrends an "adorible" stray dog while south of the border. Brings it home, lavashes it with love and attention. Takes it with her everywhere. Dog turns out to be a really big rat.
-Pair of honeymooners in a forgin country, bride goes into a dress shop and never comes back out. Totally dissapears. Distraught Groom spends the rest of the year wandering the city trying to find her. Decides to go into a "traveling carnival" to try to cheer himself up. Finds his wife, mutilated and on display as a "freak". (That one is actually kinda disconserting.)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I think the one with the cooked baby is more disconcerting (a bitter aftertaste to jokes like "do you like children?" "not raw)

Bloodsparrow said:
-Stupid rich woman befrends an "adorible" stray dog while south of the border. Brings it home, lavashes it with love and attention. Takes it with her everywhere. Dog turns out to be a really big rat.

That actually happened to my aunt. But she was neither rich nor a woman then (can't tell 'bout stupid'). She was a girl still (don't know exactly how old, I wasn't there), and playing outside with her elder sister. Then she finds that cute little doggie, graps it and starts to pet it. Her sister, in the meanwhile, runs home to call their father "my sis has a big rat and plays with it!" My grandfather grabs an axe, heads back to where they played, and beheads the rat. Of course, my aunt started to cry and ask her father whe he killed that cute little doggy. But she apparently shut up when she was told that she had hugged a rat.

Templetroll

Explorer
Dagger75 said:
Thats all for Urban legends in Florida.

I lived in Key West for a while. There is a book called "Undying Love" about Count Carl von Cosel. This is taken from a review of the book, "[He] is a German immigrant working as a technican in a tubercular ward in Key West. He falls in love with a beautiful woman, Elena Milagro Hoyes, who suffers from the disease, and he vows to cure her. His bizarre methods fail and, as fate would have it, Elena dies but Carl's love and devotion are far from over. What follows is one of the most incredible accounts of abnormal psychology, love and obsession you will ever read.

Robbing Elena's body from her grave, Carl takes his "bride" home where he attempts to preserves her from any further deterioration. He lovingly cares for her as his wife and places her in their marriage bed where he continues to consumate passion and love until he is finally caught eight years later. "

Very bizarre story that so fits a very bizarre town. Fun place to visit but way too expensive to live there! :)

Dana_Jorgensen

Community Supporter
Banned
Ah, the Jersey Devil. One thing I'll never understand is why people still cling to the "Mrs. Leed's 13th Child" origin story, when the Lenape Indians have stories about it predating any European colonization in the region.

The jersey devil is most often described as a hulking humanoid beast with a serpentine torso, with hooved feet on horselike legs razor sharp claws on its hands, and wings vast enough to grant it flight, topped by the head of a dog or wolf with the horns of a ram, standing anywhere from 4 feet to 10 feet tall (its gotten shorter over the years). It's skin has been described as green or red, apparently depending upon the time of year (green in the summer, red in winter) and its eyes glow.

It is generally assumed that the Pine Barrens of NJ are its home, though it has been seen as far north as southern NY, and as far south as Virginia. A sighting of the Jersey Devil is supposed to be a portent to some event of great misfortune to either the individual witnesses or society at large.

The ancient lenape indian stories notwithstanding, there are three tales regarding the birth of the Jersey Devil, all dating to the 18th century and focusing on a Mr.s Leeds. The first is that living alone and in poverty with her 12 children, she was angered when she found she was to have another child and cursed it by sayd "I want no more children! Let it be the Devil!". When born, the deformed child clawed itself free of her womb and scurried up the chimney to escape into the woods, where it would feed on small animals and children. Other stories involve a young Leeds Point girl cursed by a gypsy whom she had refused to give food after he had frightened her. The last story is actually of Loyalist fabrication, claiming the Jersey Devil was the God-accursed results of being conceived by the union of a girl living in Leeds Point and a british soldier, which would have been considered an act of treason.

Many unconfirmed sightings of the creature by single individuals predate 1840, at which time the creature became quiet for about 60 years. Sightings really picked up steam in the early 1800's. At a barracks at the site of what is now the Monmouth Naval station, the Jersey Devil was witnessed by the night garrison commanded by Stephen Decatur, a future navy commodore. The site was used to test artillery pieces, so he ordered the creature be attacked using artillery pieces at the site. The story claims that several artillery shells simply bounced off the creature before it retreated beyond range and flew away.

In another incident at this time, the former king of Spain, Joseph Bonaparte, brother of Napolean, reported seeing the Jersey Devil while hunting near Bordentown, NJ.

The last mass sighting incident of this period was in Clayton NJ, where a posse chased the Jersey Devil until they lost track of it.

After this, was another period of invidiual sightings, with mass sightings by entire towns occuring in 1859, 1873, and 1880.

The most astounding stretch of sightings occurred from Jan 16 to Jan 23, 1909, in which over 2000 people reported seeing the Jersey Devil. It started in Woodbury NJ, the night of Jan 16, with a sighting by Zack Cozzens, who reported "First I heard a hissing sound, then something white flew across the street. I saw two spots of phosphorus, the beast's eyes, and they were moving as fast as an auto." Another group of people in Bristol, PA reported seeing it the same night, where police fired upon it. The next day, it was seen flying over Burlington, NJ, where it went on a garbage munching rampage throughout the town. That night, at 2:30 AM, a couple in Gloucester City, NJ reported they had watched the beast cavorting in their garden shed for a good ten minutes.

The following morning, Tuesday, a party of professional hunters was put together to track down and kill it. They traced it some 20 miles southeast into Gloucester County, along a trail that jumped completely over several 5 foot high fences and passed through openings as small as 8 inches high. While they were tracking it, it apparently avoided them by flying back to Camden NJ, where more witnesses reported encounters with it.

Wednesday was an even more hectic day, as many municipalities formed posses to hunt it. It was seen again in Burlington, where police fired on it again. Then in Haddonfield, NJ, a posse chased it until it flew off to Collingswood where another posse chased it until it flew off towards Moorestown, NJ, where it took a break at a local cemetary. Its day ended in Riverside NJ, where it killed a dog.

Thurday, the beast was seen circling a trolley full of passengers in Clementon, NJ, before flying off to Trenton, where it was seen by a state congressman and visited what I assume was a national guard arsenal in the city. By the end of the day, mass transit in New Brunswick and Trenton had armed guards to protect the passengers. That same day, the West Collingswood Fire Department hosed it down, only to drive it back before it charged them and abruptly flew away. It returned to Camden, where it attacked another dog. The dog's owner attacked the Jersey Devil with a broom until it let go and flew away. Her screams drew a mob of about 100 people and several police officers, when more screams were heard from a nearby cemetary. The mob responded and the police fired on the Jersey Devil, driving it to flight once again.

As the week closed, schools and factories closed in Mt Ephraim, Gloucester City, and Hainesport, to name just a few NJ towns affected like this. Most NJ residents wouldn't even leave their own homes during daylight hours.

Sightings taper off drastically, with the last in February, 1909, though the woman who reported it later claimed the sightings happened almost daily for years after that. Most figure that sightings are probably quite common to this day, but after the hysteria of 1909, most folks don't bother reporting for fear of being considered crazy.

What the Jersey Devil actually is is anyone's guess. Some think it is a prehistoric animal, though scientists haven't found anything even vaguely similar to date. Other claim it could be a white crane, well known for its 7 foot wingspan, screeching cry, and propensity to attack people. And others think it truly is some kind of supernatural beast inhabiting the woods of NJ. One thing is clear, however. No one knows how to kill it. It has been electrocuted, exorcised, burned, beaten with a broom, and shot with both hand guns and cannons, yet has survived to haunt the region for hundreds of years.

On a side note, the Jersey Devil is also responsible for the "Blue Hole" myths around the state. Apparently at some point a large meteorite fragmented over NJ, creating dozens, if not hundreds of craters around the state, many in the range of 100 to 200 feet wide and up to 100 feet deep. Having long since filled with water, they tend to either a strange blue color or murky brown color to the water, remaining very cold even in the middle of summer. Swimmers claim that the Jersey Devil reaches up to grab them if they try swimming in there, but this is likely a combination of roots in the water, the quicksand-like nature of the water's bottom, cramping from the cold water, and the effort to climb the steep banks of these ponds. Another amusing facet of the "Blue Hole" stories is the "bottomless" aspect. While one can clearly see the bottom of many on a sunny day, they inevitable revolve around a story of a scientist, local government person, fisherman, etc. trying to plumb the depth, but never having enough cable to reach the bottom, even if they used a mile of it. These "Blue Hole" myths started with the Blue Hole, one of these small ponds located in Monroe Township, NJ.

As to why I gave such an in-depth writeup of the Jersey Devil, well, I live in the middle of his stomping grounds. Most of the towns mentioned are a short drive away. Woodbury, for instance, is a few miles up the road, as is Clayton, while Burlington takes about half an hour to drive through. Some of the schools around here even spend a week covering the Jersey Devil as part of their literature curiculum. Imagine what we felt as fourth graders hearing about this stuff in a stuffy, dimly lit elementary school library...

Boo

First Post
Tacoma, Washington.

Western State Hospital is a mental institute, and has been for some time. But it hasn't always been in the place it is now. A good mile away, in a forest behind a local park, lies the remnants of the old Western State Hospital. They say that during the move from one place to the other they used a tunnel to bypass the heavily traveled roads, at least until a cave-in killed several of the patients and a few orderleys. They didn't want to disturb anyone with the screams of the mad. The old hospital has since been fenced off, but if you get near you'll notice several places where the fence legths have been pried far enough apart to allow entry. They say strange things happen in the old hospital, and that if you're unlucky enough to find the tunnel, you can still hear the screams of the mad that died there.

Boo

Dr. Harry

First Post
KaeYoss said:
"Big spider or scorpion hidden in the flowerpot of some exotic plant"

To be fair, tarantulas are not uncommon in shipments of trpoical fruit, such as bananas. A friend of mine got a tarantula that he kept for quite a while after another friend, who worked at a Kroger's food store, called him one night, telling him that the crate of bananas they had just opened had brought a hitchhiker.

Also, if this hasn't been mentioned ten times already, let me recommend the web site

http://www.snopes.com/

Harry

mistergone

First Post
This kind of stuff always fascinates me. Not so much ghost stories and UFO sightings, but rather the just plain weird stuff. A few comments:

-one of the first posts mentioned a graveyard with a monument that had "the dead shall rise" carved on it. I'd like to see a picture of that. If anything, it would just be a cool thing to see.

-the idea of killer clowns freaks me out beyond all reason. Sure, the idea is ridiculous, and in a twisted way comical, but it still freaks me out. I've never liked clowns, and I never will. Something unnatural going on there, and I've never EVER heard anyone who was or wanted to be a clown that sounded like a reasonable sane person.

-"strange creatures" are among my favorite stories. Even the "mexican pet" tales are interesting. And hilarious that it's enough on a phenomenon to have a category name like "mexican pet". Sounds like soemthing you can get in Tijuana if you know where to ask, wink wink.

-the "distraught groom finds missing bride is sideshow" is freaky. never heard that one but yet it seems familiar.

-sadly, I don't know of any urban legends in my neck of the woods, though i know of a lot of places around here that could easily be the source of them. There are stories of tunnels under old town and much of downtown, and apparently homeless people live in them, but I've never seen the tunnels. Although my Mom works downtown and one time was walking somewhere on her lunch break and passed over a grating and just happened to look down and see some guy sitting down there looking up.

Edit: Oh, I forgot Dorthea Fuente(sp?), owner of a local boarding house some years ago that poisoned something like 7 elderly people over the years and kept collecting their social security checks, all the while having them buried in the small side yard. Creepy, but not supernatural. True though, so not really a legend either.

Maybe some of my fellow locals (and I know you're out there) can help me out with this, but yeah, local legends, I'm just not familiar with.

-I saw a website not too long ago that had pictures and blurbs about several "gateways to Hell" around the UK. Of course, these were just pictures and blurs, the site was a joke, but interesteing regardless. I've since lost the address however.

-All of this inspires me to run a horror game of weirdness, but no way would I use D20 Modern. My first choice would be Unknown Armies, but they already have a lot of the coolest stuff explained away, and the setting doesn't do it all for me, either.

Uh, yeah, it's late and I'm rambling, but yeah.

Last edited:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Dr. Harry said:
To be fair, tarantulas are not uncommon in shipments of trpoical fruit, such as bananas. A friend of mine got a tarantula that he kept for quite a while after another friend, who worked at a Kroger's food store, called him one night, telling him that the crate of bananas they had just opened had brought a hitchhiker.

Yes, I heard that, too, but these are usually in the pot, below the roots. Or so it is said.

A friend of mine (and his cousin, also a friend of mine) sometimes work or worked with a cleaning company (where his father works). They sometimes clean up a chokolade factory and said that sometimes, they have exotic snakes or spiders running rampart, which come with some ingredients for chokolate bars.

And my uncle once picked up some bananas to discover that there was a huge bug in the foil. He told one of the employees of the shop and gave them the package so they put it away. He waited a little, and they put it back on the shelf.

mistergone said:
-one of the first posts mentioned a graveyard with a monument that had "the dead shall rise" carved on it. I'd like to see a picture of that. If anything, it would just be a cool thing to see.

This reminds me of "NETHER. SHALL. RULE."

Remove ads