• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Naming a child Arwen

Utrecht

First Post
I am curious what the overall thoughts of the board is on this.

The situation is as follows: My wife and I are expecting Child Number 3 (don't know sex yet). My son is named Aiden and my daughter is Afton - so we would like to keep the A name thing going if possible.

So, if she is a girl, I would like to name her Arwen. But frankly, I am concerned about how the world will react to this - and the amount of grief that she might get later in life.

I have always like the name - and felt that she was a minor enough character to get away with it - until the movies came out..... Now I am not so sure - so what do y'all think????

(and no, if it is boy, I will not name him Aragorn :D )

I believe Arwen is, in addition to being Tolkien's elvish name, it appears to also be a Celtic name, only I can only find that on my weirdo New Age site that gives you all kinds of astrological BS about your names. It's a great site for finding names: a great RPG resource, IMO.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I like it - in a world where people are named Moon Unit, Dweezil, Frito (after the food company), and Doral (after the cigarettes), there is nothing out-of-place about Arwen. It is as perfectly normal as my real name, Throckmorton J. Thristwhistle XIII. Who would laugh or deride that perfectly normal name?

Seriously, sounds great to me, and quite beautiful. The only thing to watch out for, is for you and your wife to go through a session of making fun of the name, and coming up with the worst possible corruption of the name that a teenager could come up with. :) Also, be on the lookout for possible nicknames: "Arwen" has "Winny," "Wendy," and possibly "Arny" attached to it.

Another possibilty is Alisande, (with an "ah" in the "a"), the female protagonist in Mark Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court. It also has a nickname of "Sandy" attached, if she doesn't like the name later in life.

Last edited:

Redleg06

First Post
Utrecht said:
I am curious what the overall thoughts of the board is on this.

The situation is as follows: My wife and I are expecting Child Number 3 (don't know sex yet). My son is named Aiden and my daughter is Afton - so we would like to keep the A name thing going if possible.

So, if she is a girl, I would like to name her Arwen. But frankly, I am concerned about how the world will react to this - and the amount of grief that she might get later in life.

I have always like the name - and felt that she was a minor enough character to get away with it - until the movies came out..... Now I am not so sure - so what do y'all think????

(and no, if it is boy, I will not name him Aragorn :D )

Heck why not!? Tiger Woods is named after a helicopter! I think it would be fine. And truth be told, by the time she is 10, much of the world will have forgotten the LOTR movies.

herald

First Post
I named my Daughter Rhiannnon and I only get the occational question about Fleetwood Mac. (incase you're wondering, no, I didn't name her after the song.) My wife and I have Celtic blood way back.

Wahat's some what ironic is that we picked Elizabeth to be the middle name. From what I understand (after the fact) "Rhiannon" means "Queen", So my daughrter is "Queen Elizabeth". I think that I'm in trouble later on.

Oh well, atleast we didn't choose hte middle name to be "Mary."

kengar

First Post
I like it but I understand your question. My wife & I are expecting a girl in April (our first kid) and we both like the name Diana, but are afraid that too many "Lady Di" connotations will be drawn. Actually, we were both thinking mythology when we originally considered it (OK, I was thinking "Wonder Woman"...happy!? ;) ). Now I think it would be like naming a boy "Elvis."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads