• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT, Olympics] Russia pulling out?

Wippit Guud

First Post
I've heard that Russia may recall everyone from the Olympics because of the way they're being treated - the skating fiasco, their hockey team being disrespected...

Anyone else hear this?

fba827

Adventurer
Yes, i heard it on a well-reknown news radio station over here.

they (Russia) have proposed leaving this one and the next one planned in greece (it was something like that - i just remember them mentioning the one in greece as part of what they were planning to withdrawl from)

Their arguments were bordering on the legitimate until the last comment. The olympics will NOT be lost without Russia--i think that it's pompous and arrogant to think that everything depends on you. I fart in your general direction, Leonid!

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Disrespected their team?!! Dude they are like in the FINAL round before the medal. IF ANYONE is disrespected it was Sweden, not Russia.

Seriously I hope this just an idle threat, as I'd HATE to see USA lose by default and not win because they WERE the better team at the end of the game.

Mr. Grimm

First Post
Supposedly this is nonsense as the Russians are considering contesting to host a future Olympics (forgot which one) so its really a non-threat.

My favorite story is the South Koreans contesting the results of the speed skate match which disqualified the S Korean winner allowing the American Ohno to win gold. Supposedly they've hired a Utah law firm to look into suing the ref for his decision. The Olympics really are in America!

Talvisota

First Post
The Russian character, which so many people claim is so hard to understand, is not at all complicated.

They are whining, and do so very, very well. It is their heratige to complain, often vehemently, ("in the kitchen" as they say) and then do nothing in the end.

They are blowing smoke up your *s*.

No offense to Russians, but I think most would agree.

Talvisota

Utrecht

First Post
Overall, I think that the Russians are whining - but that could be how they are being portrayed by the media - ours is still biased against the Russian bear - they make easy bad guys.

Overall, his complainst seem to be the following:

1) Canada should not have gotten the gold in Figure Skating
2) Thier X-country skier should not have been disqualified
3) Thier Hockey Team is not respected
4) Thier athletes are being tageted for drug tests.

Of all thier complaints, #4 is in my mind the only legitimate one. However, there may be rules that state that if a certain nation gets caught a lot, then they should be tested more....... sort of like parole.

#1 is just silly, but fits in with the Russian Character - of course if the fix was not in, they would have the silver....so they should be happy.

#2 was unfortunate, but his happens to many athelets - she was over the limit - now the argument can be had whether the limit had any value or not.....

#3 - This must be earned. Of course my take on these hockey teams is that they are no more Russian, Canadian or US than the next team since they use (a lot) of players from the NHL.

Of course YMMV (esp. if you are of Russian descent)

What I am trying to figure out is what the Dutch skaters keep choking.......

Remove ads