• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT, Olympics] Russia pulling out?

Well said, and I don't mean to disparage Kwan's skill, past or present. I also haven't rigorously followed the international competition circuit to see how well she's skated recently, or even the American Olympic team tryouts, for that matter.

What I do know, though, is that she didn't skate to the same level of Hughes or even Slutskaya. IMO, she didn't even skate to the level of Cohen. But her experience did show through.

I wonder: Susan Lucci of skating, huh? What's the age cut-off? I know she could go to Torino and try again, because she's 21 now and there was at least one 25 year-old here at Salt Lake. But isn't the cutoff not long after that?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
NewbyDM said:
2 things

1. i think its not a world olympics anymore.... americans should forget their nationalism and cheer for everyone

I think this is an unfair statement, with all due respect. Americans do, indeed, cheer for other nations. I also know that each nation that sends a team to the Olympics tends to focus on their own team. Charging Americans with nationalism because we cheer our own is unfair, when we aren't doing what anyone else wouldn't do. Besides that, the fact that the Olympics consists of teams from various countries instead of individual competitors means that the Olympics, when you boil it down, is all about nationalism. I say go back to individual competitors and forget the teams.

Last edited:

ColonelHardisson:
I think this is an unfair statement, with all due respect. Americans do, indeed, cheer for other nations. I also know that each nation that sends a team to the Olympics tends to focus on their own team. Charging Americans with nationalism because we cheer our own is unfair, when we aren't doing what anyone else wouldn't do. Besides that, the fact that the Olympics consists of teams from various countries instead of individual competitors means that the Olympics, when you boil it down, is all about nationalism. I say go back to individual competitors and forget the teams.
Besides, isn't it nationalism of a non-American flavor that is causing all this controversy? :p Personally, I think a little nationalism is a good thing at the Olympics: as long as it doesn't get carried away. Besides, some athletes are such commanding personalities that you don't care what nation they're from. Even I was disappointed in Sydney when the Russian wrestler finally lost to an American.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Joshua Dyal said:

Besides, isn't it nationalism of a non-American flavor that is causing all this controversy? :p Personally, I think a little nationalism is a good thing at the Olympics: as long as it doesn't get carried away. Besides, some athletes are such commanding personalities that you don't care what nation they're from. Even I was disappointed in Sydney when the Russian wrestler finally lost to an American.

And thank God the US wasn't involved in this controversy! But it sure looks like the Russian team officials are trying to drag us into it by disputing Hughes' win.

Anyway, I watch a lot of events (when I watch the Olympics, which isn't much) that consist of non-American teams or competitors, or at least are that way in the rounds that I watch.

I think the US gets a bad rap for being unconcerned with teams from other countries. That's simply untrue.

Mr. Grimm

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:

I wonder: Susan Lucci of skating, huh? What's the age cut-off? I know she could go to Torino and try again, because she's 21 now and there was at least one 25 year-old here at Salt Lake. But isn't the cutoff not long after that?

Why Susan Lucci? I thought she handled her loss with a good deal of grace. She shrugged and smiled and shortly afterwards let herself be interviewed by a press that is just really annoying and invasive. (Could you show that picture of your dead grandfather? or Her life was particularly tragic as she found her manic depressive father hanging in the bathroom...)

As to Kwan retiring, I think it's just a personal decision. The sport is particularly tough on the body, especially the ankles, knees and back. To my knowledge there is no age limit at the Olympics. There was a 29-yr old Russian performer last night and I believe Katerina Witt was older than that when she performed 8 years ago. Generally the idea is to retire from the rigors of competition and go into spectator perfomances and rake in some money to pay your parents back.

Storm Raven

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:

What cutoff? There is no maximum age for an Olympic athlete in any sport. If you could qualify somehow at 88 you could still go and compete.

There is a practical limit to how old you can be and compete, many Olympic events require high levels of athletic ability that diminish in older people: speed, endurance, strength and so on. Just like professional baseball players, football players, basketball players and other high level athletes, the bodies of Olympic athletes eventually fail them, dropping them out of competition.

I believe there is a minimum age, that was instituted several years ago in reaction to the very young Olympic divers and gymnasts that were appearing in the games. I'm not sure why this was problem, but the IOC apparently thought it was.

IceBear

Explorer
Well, I think the US women hockey team putting the Canadian flag on the floor of their dressing room was a little much.

IceBear

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Mr. Grimm said:
Why Susan Lucci? I thought she handled her loss with a good deal of grace.

I wasn't meaning to suggest anything about the character or Kwan or Lucci, but rather the reporters and commentators that cover the respective events.

I was suggesting that it sounds as if the doting skating commentators will expose us to another 4 years of groaning about how Kwan should have won the gold much like every new year we have another round of "could this be the year she finally wins" for Susan Lucci.

At any rate, one thing to remember:
winners can lose, and things can get strange,
but wherever you go, you know the dogs remain

:)

Claude Raines

First Post
In order to avoid any more of these controversies over "who got robbed" of a gold medal, I think the IOC should eliminate the silver medal and just award two golds. Now every country can stop whining. ;)

Remove ads