• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] PDA advice

Lady Starhawk

First Post
I am looking into purchasing a PDA sometime soon. I have never looked into these seriously and would like some advice from people. Basically I want to be able to take word and text files and move them from my PC to be able to read them on the PDA.

I would like to spend under $200 (and preferably less than that) but I don't know where to start and what features are necessary and what features are just not useful.

Lady Starhawk

Purple

First Post
Well, I've been using a Palm OS device for about 3 years now, so I might be able to make some suggestions. Most PDA's out there can put a word or text file on them, but if you are looking to spend under $200 then you are probably going to have to go with Palm OS, not a Pocket PC.

If you are going to want to put a lot of documents on your Palm, you will probably want to look for a device that has an expansion slot. Most of the newest Palm devices, as well as the Sony Clie Handhelds, have one that you can store your documents on. I have a Palm M515 with a 64MB SD card, and I have about 30 MB of documents and books on it. It takes a minute to read the card to find all of them, but I find it really convenient.

I use the address book, datebook and notepad all the time. They are very easy to use, and I have my life organized on the datebook. I read ebooks on it often (when I am in a line, or just somewhere that I can't bring a book), as well as playing a lot of different games.

If you are planning to use it to take notes or do any e-mail or writing, you might want to look into getting a keyboard, as it makes the PDA into something like a less expensive notebook for some things, but that will probably be something to look at once you get a device.

If you want to put office documents on the device, you will probably want something fairly recent, as most Palm and Sony mid-to-high end devices come with an office suite. Otherwise you will need to buy an additional software package, so make sure to check what software it comes with before buying a lower end/cost device.

There are several places on the web to look for more info, but I like to read:

www.palminfocenter.com
www.brighthand.com
http://www.geek.com/pdageek/pdamain.htm

for information and reviews. Let me know if you have any other questions, or think of anything else you would want to use it for.

-Lee

jdavis

First Post
I've been looking at PDA's myself, I have a old Xircom Rex and I have been thinking about getting something new. You're going to have a hard time finding a Pocket PC PDA for under $200, All my friends swear by Pocket PC run devices, but they can run from $250 to over $500. I have no experience with Palm OS but I know you can get a Handspring Visor for around $50 with some smart shopping. The Sony Palm OS PDA's are supposed to be very good.

jdavis

First Post
Dell Axim x5 list for $349. The Pocket PC PDA that is generally rated the best at present is the Toshiba e740 but it is hard to find it for under $500.

EricLeaf

First Post
I disagree about the e740, it may be the best in its generation for viewing movies, but for general graphics its about the worst in performance.

One of the cheapest and nicest current models is the ipaq 1910, this is quality engineering. It has its limitations, but for its size its a very good machine.

If you don't care about the latest or greatest visit ebay, a lot of good deals. What costs $600 2 years ago can be had for <$200 now. Also if you don't mind waiting a few months a couple companies are coming out with better "budget" machines, more in the $200 range. Since the Axim and 1910 are filling up the $300 range.

It really depends mostly on what you want to do, if you don't care about movie playback an older one or a budget pda will do just fine.
Personally I wouldn't get a Palm, but thats just me, they are popular and will certainly remain viable for a few more years at least. But until they get some more processing and better touch screens they will always seem like a toy to me. While the pocket pcs represent a better way to interact with a computer.

jdavis

First Post
I have never used a e740 I was just going by the magazine reviews, most of the magazines rate it the best (Computer Shopper, Maximum PC, etc....). The new e330 is now out (review: http://www.tomshardware.com/newsletter/vol3/8/e330.html ) The Ipaq h1910 is what I have been looking at, it runs right at $300 but it is small and does most everything I need.

A lot of times UBID has some good deals, like the $50 Handspring visor
(autions)
http://www.ubid.com/cat/get_cat_page.asp?CatID=1329

(superstore)
http://superstore.ubid.com/is-bin/I...37wG5T34UUws7SocM_fVU0_29o=?CategoryName=4418

And don't forget about pricewatch
http://www.pricewatch.com/

Last edited:

Neowolf

First Post
I've been very happy with my Palm m130. It's got a nice color screen, fairly decent battery life, a pretty good OS, and TONS of software available. My only real complaint is that the connector used to hook up both the cradle and the keyboard seems a bit cheaply made, so you've got to be careful.

Starman

Adventurer
I've got the Palm m130 as well and I have loved it, though I've had trouble with my cradle, too. Everytime I put my Palm in it I'm worried that I'm going to break it.

Anyway, get a Palm m130 and you won't regret it.

Starman

MythosaAkira

Explorer
Just wanted to chime in about the m130 as well. Besides being a great PDA, it's currently in your price range ($199 from Palm). I believe you may also still be able to get SimCity for free if you get one. Apparently, Palm advertised the m130 as having 65,000 colors when in fact it only has 58,621 (not that you really notice). To rectify the matter, if you buy an m130, you can get SimCity for free.

The Palm Keyboard is pretty sweet, too :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads