• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Please help about English...

Syunsuke

Roll 21.
I'm Japanese and I'm not very good at English so I need some help...

Recently I'm playing indese amature-made combat game(like streetfighters: what iis correct term for this type of game?).
Before each match, some English (or pseud-English) sentences are shown.
I can't understand them.
So, can anyone paraphrase them to more ordinal, easy to understand English?

Words are as following;

-----on the edge.
crimson night & celsian moon.
missfiction not save the player is prayer,
yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinishd Romancia.

They can be nonsence, meaningless words. Many Japanese write such things in game, manga or anime because they want to show "somethings look cool".
But I want some hint at least.

The game is Melty Blood but I think no English information is available.
Some caracters are:

Arcueid Brunestud;
"Vampier in white". Princess of true vampires. She don't suffer from daylight, and more importantly, she don't drink Blood...but she is the mightiest vampire.

Ciel;
Once she was a vampire, too. But after complex and epic story, she isn't anymore. She is now 7th member of "Burial Organization", a catholic secret section which serve as exorcists...actually, executioners for supernatural beings.

Sion;
A "mind hacker". She can read your thought. She can read your memory. She can predict your actions. She can defeat you certainly, because she know what you will do next. It's "mind hacker".

Bhaal

First Post
>crimson night & celsian moon.

Crimson means red, like the color. Usually it means something is red because it is dirty with blood. I do not know what celsian means, I don't think it's a real word. Might be a nonsense word or just really badly translated. This sounds something like "bloody night and ???? moon". Probably full moon or red moon or something eerie like that.

>missfiction not save the player is prayer,

This makes no sense. I guess missfiction means "truth" (It's a very bad translation). "not save" is wrong grammatically. They might mean "is not saved", "is not safe", or "will not save". So far "The truth will not save the player" looks like what they might mean. "is prayer" is weird. Maybe they mean in and not is, like 'the player in prayer'. This one really doesn't make much sense. I get the feeling they want to say something like "the truth will not save the praying player".

>yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinishd Romancia.

'romanesque' refers to architecture (buildings) in europe around 1000 AD. Like these buildings are romanesque architecture. It also sort of has the feel of being 'gothic', as in the buildings were massive, powerful, beautiful and yet morbid. The word gothic means the architecture, but now it often means those same feelings (morbid, grand, etc). "unfinished Romancia" is nonsense. I think they meant 'unfinished romance', which sort of feels like a 'lost love'. So the line might mean"yes, dance the dance of power, death, and love lost'.

Overall, I think the feeling of the 'poem' is this:

"On a blood-red night with an eerie moon,
the truth will not save those who pray.
Yes, continue to dance the dance of power, death, and love lost."

It's really bad english. There are may ways to go about interpreting it, but I think that's the general idea and mood of what's being said. Also, "fighting game" is what games like street fighter are usuallly called :).

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Syunsuke, those types of games are just called fighting games.

Your best bet is probably to take a screenshot (a picture of the screen) when the words are on screen, and post it here.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Daily Slayers Lyric post, part the 5th, was Re: [OT] Please help about English...

Syunsuke said:

Recently I'm playing indese amature-made combat game(like streetfighters: what iis correct term for this type of game?).

In English, these games would be called "bash-em-ups". As in, the object of the game is to bash the other person up. And I don't think you mean "amateur"; a better word might be "shareware".

They can be nonsence, meaningless words. Many Japanese write such things in game, manga or anime because they want to show "somethings look cool".
But I want some hint at least.

The game is Melty Blood but I think no English information is available.

This wouldn't be the game you're talking about, would it?

http://www.typemoon.com/main.html
http://www.melonbooks.co.jp/meltyblood/

Hot damn, I want those claws that d00d has.

Arcueid Brunestud;
"Vampier in white". Princess of true vampires. She don't suffer from daylight, and more importantly, she don't drink Blood...but she is the mightiest vampire.

Die! Die! She must die!

Ciel;
Once she was a vampire, too. But after complex and epic story, she isn't anymore. She is now 7th member of "Burial Organization", a catholic secret section which serve as exorcists...actually, executioners for supernatural beings.

Die! Die! She must die!

Sion;
A "mind hacker". She can read your thought. She can read your memory. She can predict your actions. She can defeat you certainly, because she know what you will do next. It's "mind hacker".

Die! Die! She must... ooo, shiny. Wargle? Glub.

And speaking of words that look cool....

Naked Mind
Masami Okui

Mujou ni sugiteyuku taikutsu na jikan
Koi ja nai ai ja nai hoshii no wa

Yume wo motomete ikite kita yomigaeru fukai kioku

Onna wo migake! Kokoro atsuku motto FEEL SO GOOD
Kawaii dake ja ima wo ikite yukenai
Mienai dake ga itsumo dareka neratteru
Dakara oshiminaku sou hanayaka ni sarakedashite
Sakasemashou NAKED MIND

Shakai no joushiki ne daisuki rankingu
Minna ga esu wo kisotteru

Hotto hitoiki tsukitai to amaeru kimochi gutto korae

Otoko wo migake! Kokoro atsuku motto FEEL SO GOOD
Kirei na dake ja ima wo ikite yukenai
Mienai dake ga itsumo dareka neruteru
Dakara oshiminaku sou hanayaka ni sarakedashite
Sakasemashou NAKED MIND

Otoko wo migake! Kokoro atsuku motto FEEL SO GOOD
Sou you dainamikku ni takumashiku sarakedashite
Sakasemashou NAKED MIND

Hong "I have no idea what all that Japanese means, but I know it looks cool" Ooi

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Syunsuke said:

I think it is LARP. LARP means Live Action Role Playing game.

Before each match, some English (or pseud-English) sentences are shown. I can't understand them.
So, can anyone paraphrase them to more ordinal, easy to understand English?

Words are as following;

I will try.

-----on the edge.

Does it say "-----" ? There is a role playing game called On The Edge, maybe it's that? On the edge means delicate (careful) balance.

crimson night & celsian moon.

Crimson means red, like blood. Because the game has vampires, it might mean blood night.

Celsian is strange. Celsitude means high. So maybe high moon? Also possible, a Celsian Winter means a long winter, like in the north pole where night lasts 6 months (I think). Since the game has vampires, it might mean forever moon.

missfiction not save the player is prayer,

missfiction is not a word. I think it means untruth. So maybe it should read: Lying will not save the player, only prayer.

yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinishd Romancia.

This might be nonsense. Romanesque is a kind of architecture from Italy. It is round and fancy (complicated). So Complicated dance. Romancia is not a word. I think it means romance (love). Romanesque and Romancia rhyme (like poetry or haiku), so I think it is just nice words.

My best translation is this:

A delicate balance.
Blood night. Forever moon.
Lying will not save the player, only prayer.
Complicated dance and incomplete romance.

I do not know if this is correct. I hope it helps.

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Re: [OT] Please help about English...

Mistwell said:

I think it is LARP. LARP means Live Action Role Playing game.

No, I think he actually does mean a combat game. From some of those screenshots, it looks like a side-scrolling bash-em-up for the PC, like Streetfighter or Mortal Kombat.

Syunsuke

Roll 21.
Thank you very much for your quick help.

I should have done this;
This is an enlarged screenshot.
enigma.gif

I feel a bit shame about such a nonsencical words as Japanese:eek:
And I feel at ease because it wasn't problem of my English;)

"On a blood-red night with an eerie moon,
the truth will not save those who pray.
Yes, continue to dance the dance of power, death, and love lost."

A delicate balance.
Blood night. Forever moon.
Lying will not save the player, only prayer.
Complicated dance and incomplete romance.

I think both of them have good feelimg of game. Thank you, again.

And I don't think you mean "amateur"; a better word might be "shareware".

If you recognize the word "comic market" or "Dojin-shi", then you may get the idea.
Some non-company people made the game as hobby though number of sales is very large as PC game in Japan.
It's avairable as pressed CD-ROM, not downloadable software or CD-R.

And yes, it's the game you mentioned by URL.
Melty Blood, sequel to Tsuki-Hime(literaly "moon princess") which is the best seller "novel game" ever made as non-comercially.
Tsuki-Hime will be animated in this year.

Melty blood is 2D fighting game like Streetfighter, here 2D(two-dimentional) means "pixel-animated" oposed to to polygon-animated fighting game such as Dead or Alive or, IIRC, Mortal Combat.

And, as a token of my gratitude, I made this image for desktop picture.
some characters from Melty Blood
Sorry, but I deleted the picture now.

Thank you very much, once more!!

Last edited:

Number47

First Post
I think Hitsui and Nohaku look too much alike. In my mind, Hitsui looks like a maid, which would be an interesting choice to take in a fighting game of vampires.

Remove ads