• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OT) So what is there to do in Montreal?

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
My wife and I are going on vacation in Montreal this summer (June 4th through 9th). What is "Must See" in Montreal?

(please keep the dates I mentioned in mind, I don't need to know about all the amazing festivals going on when I won't be there.)

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
must-do in Montreal June 4 - 8

(warning - this is my own checklist - we only go into Montreal once a month or so, so we have a small back-log)

- Visit Andrea (artist, cover of Kid's Colouring Book o Critters - Celebrity Edition)
- Visit Squidhead (artist, cover of Gar'Udok)
- Visit old montreal, the park.
- Visit the churches. This is the city of a thousand steeples!
- Shop at the Valet de Coeurs (huge gaming store with a great supply of foreign and french-language RPGs)
- Shop at Capitaine Quebec (has always been my second fave gaming store - my fave is in Ottawa, Fandom II)

And don't forget one of the world's highest concentrations of adult stores and adult entertainment on St Catherine street!

:D

Dieter

First Post
Having visited Montreal last Fall, I'd definitely recommend old Montreal.

Other things of interest:

The Olympic Park/BioDome (No, not based on a Paulie Shore movie).

Hike up Mont Real...it has some great views of the city.

If you've never been to a Moevenpick restaurant, try it out...it's pricey, but pretty cool.

Take a boat cruise up the St.Laurence. I had my doubts, but it's a really cool way of seeing the city from an entirely different angle.

If you know French, it will be infinitely easier getting around town. Anyone trying to determine Ouest/Est will know what I mean.

Do NOT try Poutine! It is one of the most vile substances every concocted. I couldn't get past the smell. However, Steak Frites is your friend when you can't decide on which French entree you want to try your luck with.

My overall advice is to make sure you don't miss Toronto when in that part of Canada. That place rocks.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Dieter said:
Do NOT try Poutine! It is one of the most vile substances every concocted. I couldn't get past the smell. However, Steak Frites is your friend when you can't decide on which French entree you want to try your luck with.

My overall advice is to make sure you don't miss Toronto when in that part of Canada. That place rocks.

I disagree on both counts!

DEFINITELY check out a poutine. Just one between the two of you, and ask around where the best poutine is in the area you are when you feel brave enough. If you are NOT very brave, the most easily eaten (and most universal in flavor) is the one from Burger King.

And Toronto SMELLS. It's icky. It is as if a large portion of the Canadian populace (known as Torontonians) actually want to be Americans. It's like a cleaner, quieter and more boring New York. (And I don't like NYC much either as a tourist).

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
lokiqc said:
I guess it really depends on what you enjoy doing. More info?

Take care

I enjoy bicycling, nature walks, arts & crafts :)

My wife likes shopping and "new age stuff" ;)

We already have tickets to cirque du soleil :D

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
Dieter said:
Having visited Montreal last Fall, I'd definitely recommend old Montreal.

Other things of interest:

The Olympic Park/BioDome (No, not based on a Paulie Shore movie).

Hike up Mont Real...it has some great views of the city.

If you've never been to a Moevenpick restaurant, try it out...it's pricey, but pretty cool.

Take a boat cruise up the St.Laurence. I had my doubts, but it's a really cool way of seeing the city from an entirely different angle.

If you know French, it will be infinitely easier getting around town. Anyone trying to determine Ouest/Est will know what I mean.

I'm already planning on visiting the biodome. :)

I'll see if I can drag my wife up Mont Real. ;)

We actually have a Moevenpick restaurant in Boiston. I plan on eating there at least once in Montreal, although I hear there are lots of great restaurants up there.

Je ne parle pas francais. Ma femme parle un petit pur. :p

Jotun

First Post
Catch a baseball game. The Expos won't be in Montreal much longer. That, and someone needs to go to those games...

It's what I would do if I was in Montreal. I've never been, but I've been told by multiple people, multiple times, that it's a great place.

Keith

First Post
One thing about Montreal is that it is the kind of city where if you just get out there and wander around, you will generally find it lively and interesting. Cirque du soleil is always fun, I think, so good thinking ahead there. On a short stay, I would not really waste a meal on Movenpick, I'd have to say. There are so, so many good restaurants in that city. People seem to have mentioned the main sort-of tourist sites to hit: Biodome, Botanical Gardens, St. Joseph's Oratory, Notre-Dame, Old Montreal, possibly the very good and not-so-popular baseball team. The best thing about the city, though, is that you don't have to worry about finding the next stop to fill in your time, as it is always pretty vibrant.
And, yes, Hellhound, that is very different from Toronto. You are a traitor to Ontario, :) , but not too wrong that Toronto is not a world class city.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads