• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Spontaneous human combustion

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
This happened in Romania? Now, that's a good start for a horror/mystery story...

Anyway - too bad that such things happen. :(

Timothy

First Post
This is Horrible for that man.

But a Very interesting Phenomenom. does anybody know a bit more about it? (I'll do a search if I get bored on ENworld)

eris404

Explorer
Most cases of "spontaneous combustion" are from people drinking too much (or being on tranquilizers) and falling asleep while smoking. Note that the person has to be REALLY bombed in order to stay asleep while accidentally lighting themselves on fire. People point out weird things like a shoe being untouched by smoke or fire, but it has to do with the level of alcohol and the way human tissue, especially fat, burns. I don't know all of the details, but you can read about it here:

http://www.csicop.org/si/9611/shc.html

But yeah, it is very a sad tale nonetheless.

RingXero

Well, having done a bit of research on it I can say a few things.

There seems to be two types of cases, Documented and undocumented (friend of a friend type).

The documented cases are not that mysterious anymore, since significant testing recently has shown how the body burns. The victim(usually elderly) passes out somehow, Drunk, carbon-monoxide, etc... an ember or cigarette starts their clothes(or blanket, etc...) smouldering. What happens next is important, the persons own fat has to 'wick' through to the cloth fibers, this causes the entire area to turn into an inverted candle, allowing for incredible heat to be generated, but all locally. Experiments with (dead) pigs in clothes have shown every trait of 'spontaneous combustion', the exessive heat allowing for full skeleton burn, while leaving the unclothed area untouched, and leaving surrounding objects usually unharmed.

in almost all known cases of spontaneous combustion, the situation above can completely explain what happend (even for partial burns, where the victim remains alive, and only loses an arm, or fingers before being discoverd. There are one or two cases where it doesn't quite match, but there are 'extenuating circumstances' One modern case, the person who discovered the body says she was only gone 15 minutes, which is not enough for the full torso burn in that case, but she could have fallen asleep on the couch as it was late at night and by her own admittance very tired, as she was watching tv (she cannot remember what was on)

The undocumented cases fall in the category of 'a friend of a friend saw this guy just burst into flames at a party'. Which honestly can hardly be believed.

As for the case above, he could very well have been wearing a hat.

RX

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Darkness said:
This happened in Romania?

Yep. You'll notice that most weird things happen in far and out-of-the-way, and usually economically downtrodden places. Like Eastern Europe, or darkest Africa, and the backwoods of just about anywhere.

Sasquatch rarely walks the streets of Manhattan. Coincidence? :)

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Interesting fact - a former address of one of the most famous SHC victims, Mary Reeser (who combusted in Florida in 1951) was located a block or two down the street from where I sit right now.

Remove ads