• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[ot] star wars kid

Gellion

First Post
I heard he sued for emotional damage. The Lightning Bolt LARP movie has also gotten out among some other non-gaming related message boards i have been too.

Sixchan

First Post
I have mixed feelings about this little video. It's bad because it was very damaging to the kid emotionally, but when people shout it down, it seems to be implying that what he is doing is somehow wrong.

I think people should distribute it and attribute it as a badge of honour to the kid. I mean, we all do it. The video is cool. The kid is cool. It's about time someone made the kid realise how cool it is.

He also deserves a part in Episode III, and on that note, I direct you here.

PowerWordDumb

First Post
Sixchan said:
It's bad because it was very damaging to the kid emotionally

Based on the generally accepted "anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger", I'd have to say this is actually a good thing for him - someone who was hiding a fragile psyche is now getting treatment that will make him a stronger and happier person.

For some of us, we learn by sticking forks into electrical outlets as children. Others need to learn from having a goofy video posted on the 'net. There was absolutely nothing wrong with what the kid did, the problem was all in how he let the fallout affect him. In time he'll look back on this and laugh.

Whether he's laughing in good humor or laughing as he picks off bystanders from the belltower with a 30-30 is yet to be seen.

And yes, I am completely heartless.

Sixchan

First Post
PowerWordDumb said:

Based on the generally accepted "anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger", I'd have to say this is actually a good thing for him - someone who was hiding a fragile psyche is now getting treatment that will make him a stronger and happier person.

For some of us, we learn by sticking forks into electrical outlets as children. Others need to learn from having a goofy video posted on the 'net. There was absolutely nothing wrong with what the kid did, the problem was all in how he let the fallout affect him. In time he'll look back on this and laugh.

Whether he's laughing in good humor or laughing as he picks off bystanders from the belltower with a 30-30 is yet to be seen.

And yes, I am completely heartless.

There are plenty of things what don't kill you but certainly don't make you stonger. Like a stroke. Or a heart attack. Or insanity.

Whether my own experiences with Mental Instability made me stonger or not is open to debate. I went in a well-adjusted individual. I became depressed, suicidal and nihilistic. I came out an arrogant, self-centered bastard who would happilly line up half of my country and hang them based on nothing more than their subculture. Although, I certainly have stronger self-esteem.

And you think you're heartless?:p

PowerWordDumb

First Post
By "anything" of course, the implied definition is "anything from which you can learn something". Obviously having your head chopped off and kept on life support won't make you physically stronger, and neither will a stroke.

But if there's a learning opportunity in an event, then I believe it's essentially a truism.

And yes, I am pretty darn heartless - but I'm not into prejudging anyone. I just judge people pretty harshly based on their own actions (not those of their ethnic/religious/national/cultural group). I also judge myself by those same harsh standards, so it's all fair. :)

Gothmog

First Post
You know, while this video is amazingly funny, when I first saw it, I felt a little sorry for the kid. I mean, all of us have had our dorky moments, he was just careless enough to record his and have it found later by other kids.

People rallied behind the kid because while they laughed at his antics, they felt sorry for him, and a collection was taken up- in the end almost $4500 was raised to be given to the kid in cash and an Ipod.

However, once the kid and his parents filed a lawsuit, all my sympathy for this kid was gone. This is just another ploy to litigate when you're upset, and try to make a few free bucks claiming emotional damage. Get over it. Life will hand you things far worse than this, and if you plan to litigate over the death of a pet, a failed marriage, etc- you really need to re-evaluate your life. Yes, it sounds heartless and cruel, but there is nothing lower than the "I'll sue!" mentality that is all-too prevalent in our society today.

So my response is: Hell yeah! Show this thing everywhere, all the time. Its hilarious! Long live Darth Girth!!! Even people who are non-gamers and non-sci-fi lovers I have shown it to find it incredibly humorous. If you can't have a sense of humor about yourself, what have you got?

Last edited:

Bastoche

First Post
Gothmog said:

However, once the kid and his parents filed a lawsuit, all my sympathy for this kid was gone. This is just another ploy to litigate when you're upset, and try to make a few free bucks claiming emotional damage. Get over it. Life will hand you things far worse than this, and if you plan to litigate over the death of a pet, a failed marriage, etc- you really need to re-evaluate your life. Yes, it sounds heartless and cruel, but there is nothing lower than the "I'll sue!" mentality that is all-too prevalent in our society today.

There's more than one reason why that kid should've sued. And IMO, the amounts of money they sued for were ridiculously low.

That kid is in a psychiatric institution. When one gets a mental illness, he can never ever get rid of it. It can only be controlled, never cured. Therefore it will NOT make him stronger, quite the contrary. Ever. That kid is now crazy and that's something he'll have to live with for the rest of his days.

On another point, this video distribution violates copyrights IMO. The video was stolen and in my mind is currently distributed without permission. As an independant music artist, I find this rather shocking. That video belongs to that kid and to all those whom got permission from him and no one else.

The other thing you have to keep in mind is that this video got on the net with consciously wrong intentions and it worked because people has a perverted desire to laugh at others. It's not about a good sense of humor, it's about irresponsible derision.

That video had gone long enough. Quit beating the dead horse.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads