• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[ot]Starfarers of Catan

dagger

Adventurer
I got to play this a few times on Wed for the first time, and I have to say I like it a lot. I like it better than Settlers of Catan even, though the games are similar (and I still like Settlers).

Just thought I'd let everyone know that.

Last edited:

Zerovoid

First Post
I got this game recently, and its very cool, definately a change of pace from settlers. I've played that game so much that I never want to play it anymore, and the cards are all covered with pizza grease and stuff. Starfarers does a good job of building a new game around the basic core mechanic from settlers, ie roll 2d6 for resource production, and then trade.

I have to say though, that I consider settlers a classic game. Not as much as Chess or Go, but probably above Monopoly. This is because the game is very simple and elegant, and the whole thing revolves around the core game mechanic. I've never seen any be boardgame be so well recieved by so many people. Starfarers doesn't have this same classic fee, because of all the encounter cards and wierd stuff.

I also got the chance to play Tigris and Euphratis recently. It seemed confusing the first time, but I think its game design is also very elegant. And the strategies involved seem really complex and interesting.

SarahHeacock

First Post
As good as settlers?

I have also played Starfarers, but it is a MUCH longer game than Settlers.

And while it has a lot of plastic pieces to play with, etc, in my experience there was not as much play value in the game. The interactions between the players, strategy elements of settlers, etc are not there

OTOH I'm not fond of the 5-6 player version of Settlers even.

psionotic

Starfarers Rulez

I personally enjoy Starfarers more than Settlers. Not only is there a deeper level of strategy to it (in my mind, at least) but it has absolutely the most beautiful gameboard and pieces of any game I've ever played:

For example: The movement dice are these great 50's style rocketships that you deck out with different pieces indicating the tech level of your spaceships. I almost want to run around the room holding one like a 6 year old making "Vrooooom" noises every time we play.

It takes 2-3 times longer to play then Settlers, so be prepared to sit for 2 hours if you are going to get a game going.

I just got the 5-6 player expansion, and haven't had a chance to try it out, but hopefully its just as fun.

TheDayKnight

First Post
I agree with Lidda. The game itself looks beautiful. The game play is fun as well. But some people hated the randomness of the black roll. And another person suggested that we should somehow combine Starfarers with regular Settlers...maybe along the line of switching to the settlers when you land on a planet. But I pointed out that this would take an enormous amount of time.

dagger

Adventurer
All my friends say they think it actually takes less time to play than Settlers.

Anyway, we always play with at least 5 or 6 players in both games, so we have all the expansions for both. We use everything on Settlers (expansion, seafarers, seafarers expansion) except the Castle and Knights one.

I havent got to play Starfarers of Catan without the expansion yet though,not sure how that is.

SarahHeacock

First Post
Longer than SEttlers...

The 5-6 player version of Settlers IS significantly longer than the normal game (one of the reasons I don't like it so much) so that may be why they feel Starfarers is shorter.

Zerovoid

First Post
Starfarers has seemed shorter to me than settlers. But as someone pointed out, I'm probably used to the 5-6 player seafarers. Starfarers seems to take less than 1 1/2 hours, about the same as settlers of acqire. Its not near as long as Diplomacy, or the dreaded Empire Builder aka "the train game"

Remove ads