• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT - SW] Official Episode 2 Opening Week Boycott Thread

drothgery

First Post
Saturday (the 18th) or Sunday (the 19th) if the theater isn't mobbed (and it wasn't for Spidey last weekend; I had to go next door for other reasons, so I dropped by the theater and figured I didn't have anything better to do); otherwise, I'll wait a week.

Last edited:

Dr Midnight

Explorer
I'll be seeing it Thursday at 7:15, and having a lovely time. Sorry I can't punish myself for your perceived mistakes on Uncle George's part.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Motion Pictures is one of the few art forms in which afficianados think they should have some say in how the art should be produced. I'm not criticizing, I'm just pointing it out.

Lucas has a very specific vision of what he wants the Star Wars films to be. Like it or not, that vision includes stuff that will make little kids giggle, like Jar Jar. From what I've gathered over the years from reading and watching interviews with Lucas, he wanted stuff like that all along, but it wasn't until Return of the Jedi that he really had the wherewithal to take a stand and put in the cutesy kiddy stuff.

I was watching The Phantom Menace again last night on Fox. The second viewing I had revealed to me that it really isn't a bad film. It's kind of flat and boring in spots, but it isn't terrible. What I paid attention to was how Jar Jar was used. He is, of course, there to catch the attention of kids, and to provide a kind of framing element that will keep them watching during the more adult-oriented parts. But, he's also there to provide a contrast between the whimsy of the Star Wars universe, and its more serious, epic-tale quality, embodied in the Jedi.

I can see why people hate Jar Jar. I don't exactly hate him (I did hate the Ewoks, at one time), but he is annoying. I've just reconciled myself to the fact that he (and the Ewoks, and all the cutesy stuff) is as much a part of Lucas' vision of the Star Wars universe as anything else.

Just thought I'd share ;)

El_Gringo

First Post
Bought my tickets the first day available. Going to the midnight showing 12:01 am and with a digital screen no less! If you were really sincere about your dislike, you'd completely boycott the movie, the future movie, all Star Wars products, rpgs, etc.

King_Stannis

Explorer
a smashing success, i'd say! 19 responses so far, and i think *1* has agreed to this silly boycott. actually, i think you can make that 20 and *still* 1 who agrees with the boycott.

did anyone else get a chuckle when the original poster said that this had to do with INTEGRITY? if you were going to take a principled stand because you (for some reason) hate george lucas, you'd not participate in viewing the movie at all. you would refuse to see it under any circumstances. instead, we get some half-baked protest whereby a few internet nerds can feel good about theirselves and tell people they took a "principled" stand by not seeing the movie in the first 7 days, but seeing it X number of times after day 8. totally gratuitous and in perfect keeping with this whimpy "feel-good" culture we all seem to live in nowadays.

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
King_Stannis said:
a smashing success, i'd say! 19 responses so far, and i think *1* has agreed to this silly boycott. actually, i think you can make that 20 and *still* 1 who agrees with the boycott.

Nah, we're just staying silent so you guys can come in here piss all over our boycott thread.

Turn about is fair play, after all. :)

I'm chuckling over the number of "It's just a movie!" posters who already have their tickets for 12:01am.

Do you see ALL your movies that way?

Wulf

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
I'm chuckling over the number of "It's just a movie!" posters who already have their tickets for 12:01am.

Do you see ALL your movies that way?
If most movies that I was interested in had a 12:01am showing I would indeed be there.

Personally I enjoyed Episode I. Most of my friends enjoyed Episode I. My nephew enjoyed Episode I. Episode II looks very good also.

I have no problem with people not enjoying it. I just don't like people who insist noone should enjoy it because they didn't.

Last edited:

Snoweel

First Post
You still at this Rinn?

Don't make Nemm come down here.

Though personally, I'm with you. I refuse to see it for the opening 20 and a half hours.

Which will be about lunchtime across teh States.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads