• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Tarot Cards and the News

apsuman

First Post
I thought that the locations used by the killer at the other shootings is/are unknown. So he could have left a card there but they did not find it.

g!

As I understand it, many serial killers don't begin leaving the "signature" at their crime spree until after a few kills. They have to build that sense of invulnerability that lets them think they can taunt the police and get away with it.

On the other hand, most serial killers don't use an accomplice, and other patterns don't match the profile.

I know this is gamer of me, but I can't help but think of possibilities like two rogue black ops hunting down dopplegangers before they can infect the populace, or the like.

hellbender

First Post
This person is a new breed of spree killer, technically. Serial killers, by definition, pick a certain segment of society and prey exclusively on those people, normally, with sexual overtones. Mass murderers are typically agenda killers, killing up close, and killing a certain number of people or going berserk at a certain place and time, with exceptions such as the Zodiac killer, who was able to continue mass murder and turned it into a game.

More than likely, this person is much smarter than the authorities will give him credit for, and the media blitzes (like calling him a coward and saying he is weak and needs this to feel power) have no effect. This is someone with training in assassination and the ability to move quickly and covertly, like a sniper. And who knows what their main agenda will be? We can all only hope this person is caught soon and that there will be no copycats.

hellbender

Florin

First Post
apsuman said:
I thought that the locations used by the killer at the other shootings is/are unknown. So he could have left a card there but they did not find it.

g!

This morning on the news they were saying they found gunpowder residue on a church that had a clean line of fire at one of the shootings, and they've been checking the tops of buildings across the street from other sites. I think they have a pretty good idea where the shot came from.

Schmoe

Adventurer
My wife is a teacher at a school about 15 minutes away from where the 13 year old was shot. All I can say is that I hope they find him, and soon.

MerakSpielman

First Post
Just an update on the Tarot card aspect of these events.

It seems that the Tarot card was discovered in a small area of flattened grass in the woods near the school. The suspicion is that the sniper spent some time there, like a hunter setting a trap where he knows deer will pass. That is also where they found the second shell casing.

The Tarot card is the card of Death (which often symbolizes drastic life change rather than actual death in a Tarot reading, but he probably didn't know that).

The message on it was "Dear Policemen, I am God." There was another hastily scrawled message asking that the existence of the card not be revealed to the media.

That is why the police chief was upset about the card being leaked - she hoped that if they kept it secret, the killer would communicate again and lead them to him.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/816566.asp?0dm=C11NN

tarot card reference about halfway down the page.

Angelsboi

First Post
*nods*

Yeah, i just didnt mention the Death Card's meaning b/c i figured a lot of people on here are pagan (and we've all said who we were).

I just wonder whats going to happen now ...

MerakSpielman

First Post
If the sniper turns out to be a D&D-playing pagan I'll be pretty ticked off. I just know what the media will do with that info.

Like when they found out the columbine shooters played DOOM, but worse.

Paladin

Explorer
I think this is all silly...first of all, there is not one indication that the killer plays D&D...where in D&D do you find and kill random people for fun with a high powered rifle (or whatever he is using)...this is definately not a tool of destruction in any D&D adventure I have used... I wish, it would make it easier for a practically defenseless rogue to kill the bad guys from a distance! Why has no one considered that he just likes tarot cards (which doesn't necessarily associate you with pagonism, btw, there are other people out there who like the tarot arts). Maybe he knows nothing of tarot cards, but he thought it would be fun to throw them in to keep people off his trail. Also, Richard Ramerez was a serial killer with no MO...he went to different kinds of peoples homes of different ages, used different weopons to kill them, and did different sinister things at each crime scene. Sometimes people who are crazy just kill for fun, and nothing else. Something else, why has no one thought about terrorism as an angle? Maybe they are some terrorist b******s who have found a very good way to scare people in their own neighborhoods. That's what terrorists want to do, kill people who are different and refuse to change, while scaring the hell out of everyone else. Since they can't do it by air anymore with a big bang, maybe they think this is a good second choice....but the tarot card thing doesn't really fit this scenario...Paladinwife

Last edited:

Florin

First Post
Oh, they're not saying that D&D made him kill or encouraged him to kill. The profiler was saying he might play D&D because it would allow him to act out his need to play God.

Remove ads