• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Tarot Cards and the News

Paladin

Explorer
Florin said:
Oh, they're not saying that D&D made him kill or encouraged him to kill. The profiler was saying he might play D&D because it would allow him to act out his need to play God.
I never got to play a God in D&D either...Paladinwife:D

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
The answer is simple:

The sniper is Miss Cleo.

She's got plenty of reason to be disgruntled lately.

(disclaimer: This whole thing is a huge tragedy and I hope they catch this scumbag immediately. I am not trying to poke fun at any of the victims.)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I really thought it was too bad that the profilier brought D&D up on Fox News recently as well. D&D does not need more bad press.

Paladin

Explorer
Florin said:

I do. Every time I DM. Well, actually I get to play a couple different ones... :D
I don't think I have the brain power it takes to DM...I wish I did, it would give my husband a break and he could actually play...PW

MerakSpielman

First Post
I think the problem all of us sane gamers have is that homicidal, insane people DO seem to play power games like D&D and DOOM/Quake/SoF. For the computer games, they probably use the cheat codes to feel truly GODlike, running around and killing things. And D&D is so open-ended that with the right (or, more likely, the WRONG) DM you can act out any power fantasy you want. Power addicts will naturally gravitate to arenas where they can percieve themselves as powerful.

What people (and the media) generally doesn't seem to understand is that the gaming medium is almost certainly not THE cause, or even A cause, of these psychotics disorder. They have already snapped and the only thing they want in life is to FEEL powerful, and when role-playing in an imaginary world stops being enough for them, they move on to the real world.

Saying, as some people do, that D&D incourages murderous, dangerous behavior is like saying that playing with squirt guns or playing laser tag will lead to murderous, dangerous behavior (though I've met people who believe that as well).

kenjib

First Post
The "I am god" thing almost seems straight out of the new Red Dragon movie (line by Edward Norton), especially in connection with leaving an occult trademark at the scene. I wonder if he watches movies like this and builds them into his fantasies. Either that or the movie was just really insightful into the mind of real serial killers. Who else has seen this movie already? Any thoughts? I just couldn't help but think of it.

diaglo

Adventurer
actually i thought of the movie "Seven" when i heard about the Tarot card. but Angelsboi Tarot thread did also come to mind.

ArcOfCorinth

First Post
MerakSpielman said:

The Tarot card is the card of Death (which often symbolizes drastic life change rather than actual death in a Tarot reading, but he probably didn't know that).

Well, he shot the boy in stomach rather in the head. The boy isn't dead but he'll certainly undergo drastic life changes.

All the families of the victims will. :(

MerakSpielman

First Post
An interesting point, but I believe he was trying to kill that poor kid. Several of his victems were shot in the back and died.

These stories have made me more angry since I became a parent... <--- edit: By that I mean any story involving violence on a child deliberately inflicted by an adult.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads