[OT] Today I feel tired, very tired... Greece is going back to the last century...

Fast Learner

First Post
Henry said:
Actually, we were warned about this in a thread in the D&D Software forum approximately two weeks ago, when it was first put into action.

This thread was first. The one in the Software Forum only started a week ago.

I would urge the people of Greece who are upset with this law to get moving, because silence equals complacency.

Read the post that revived this thread.

Last edited:

Storm Raven

First Post
Archibald Theocliste said:
"Nobody from the members of the parliament realized or could foresee the effects that this would have for PC games, Internet games and game consoles, simply because they are not familiar with that side of technology," Kakayanis added. The bill became law July 30.

Can we infer from this that everyone in the Greek parliament is a moron with the IQ of a housecat?

Psionicist

Explorer
Say, is it illegal to INSTALL games, or just to PLAY games?

This is a very interesting question because EVERY common operating system used incorporate at least one game. If you cannot install a game, you cannot technically install any common operating system without violating the lawys.

Odd.

Friadoc

Explorer
Well,

...you couldn't install any Microsoft OS, since they all - currently - come with Solitaire, which has the option of playing the 'Vegas Style' which keeps a running tally of money won and/or loss.

I swear, one almost has to have severe brain damage to become a politician and then sign off on cr@p this stupid, regardless of the nation of origin.

Kibo

Banned
Banned
Psionicist said:
Say, is it illegal to INSTALL games, or just to PLAY games?

This is a very interesting question because EVERY common operating system used incorporate at least one game. If you cannot install a game, you cannot technically install any common operating system without violating the lawys.

Odd.

At any rate the point is moot. The law was recently ruled unconstitutional.

Voneth

First Post
Luddite politicians accidentally outlaw nongambling electronic games (what is scary is that the police were also enforcing the law, you’d figure one of them would raise a question.) And the Florida elderly continue to shoot down bills that restrict their driving rights.

Just another case that proves that the majority do not necessarily know what is best for the public …

Bagpuss

Legend
I'm confused as don't most computer games fall under category e, IE: Unreal Tornament, Tetris, Computer Chess, etc. All depend exclusively on the skill of the player.

I can't think of any games that are in category b, you have to switch them on to start with and that's muscle power.

Nothing like making a law in haste.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Voneth said:
Luddite politicians accidentally outlaw nongambling electronic games (what is scary is that the police were also enforcing the law, you’d figure one of them would raise a question.) And the Florida elderly continue to shoot down bills that restrict their driving rights.

Just another case that proves that the majority do not necessarily know what is best for the public …

The greek law was made by some politiccians, not by a vote of the people. It's not really an indictment of democracy.

As for the Florida vote, I don't know the details on that one.

Remove ads