• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OT)Vegemite

kenjib

First Post
Eternalknight said:
On a side topic, about 10 years ago I had a Japanese exchange student stay with me. The first night, we gave her vegemite on toast; she threw up straight away. When we told her what it was (a yeast extract that was a left over of the brewing process.... the stuff left at the bottom of the beer) she ran around the house screaming.... I guess you had to be there :D

I bet she went back home and ate some natto right after that too.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Vegemite: pretender to the true throne of Marmite :)

Marmite is great on bread, on toast, mixed into fried mince or casseroles, made into a hot drink with boiling water. I particularly like Marmite and cheese sandwiches, or if you are making sandwiches for a picnic a long way away a mixture of marmite, tuna and mayonnaise is most excellent.

Cheers

Wicht

Hero
Ok, since we are sorta on the subject, I got a question for all you native Australians concerning Men At Works, "Down Under." Listening to it about a month ago it struck me that while we in America consider it mostly a silly song about Australia, those who actually lived in Australia would likely have a very different take on it altogether. As an American I know that songs that sing about America and its land and people stir patriotic feelings, even the pop songs (Springsteens "Born in the USA" fer instance). So my question is, to you as an Australian is that song semi-patriotic, mostly silly, or what?

Dr Midnight

Explorer
This reminds me of the art student from Finland who handed me a "Fin candy" once. It was dark brown, had concentric ring designs on it, and tasted VERY STRONGLY of beef, anise, and salt. I spat it out after forty long seconds, yelling "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, but that's NASTY."

Maxboy

Explorer
ok as an Aussie, i really don't mind Vegemite at all :)

But..................... It must be lightly spread over toast for a nice taste :p

And Ryan (Angelsboi) Chundering is Ummmmmm.... Well ,

Throwing up Basically.

mirzabah

First Post
Wicht said:
Ok, since we are sorta on the subject, I got a question for all you native Australians concerning Men At Works, "Down Under." Listening to it about a month ago it struck me that while we in America consider it mostly a silly song about Australia, those who actually lived in Australia would likely have a very different take on it altogether. As an American I know that songs that sing about America and its land and people stir patriotic feelings, even the pop songs (Springsteens "Born in the USA" fer instance). So my question is, to you as an Australian is that song semi-patriotic, mostly silly, or what?
I can't speak for all Australians, but I thought it was pretty silly too. However I do kinda have an affectionate regard for it anyway. I'm not sure that I would go so far as to say that it stirs patriotic feelings in me, but it does make me feel that we are a unique bunch :cool:

Eternalknight

First Post
Wicht said:

Well, they tend to sing it at a lot of footy (that's Aussie Rules Football) grand finals and other sporting events, including, I think, the Olympics (some one care to clarify?)

Spekaing of footy, my team is currently getting beaten at the MCG...

Remove ads