• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] WAY OFF TOPIC...math guys...how abuot some help please

Zakath

First Post
Ok...its alittle embarassing that im in Calculus and i forgot how to handle fraction exponents...lol
anyways im having trouble trying to remember how factor (actually extract) them out of an equation...here is it...

those of you who have a graphing calculator or know how to work one will understand this equation better...cause thats pretty much how im setting it up...

F'(x) = [(X^2 + 1)^-1/2] - [ (X^2)(X^2 + 1)^-3/2]

there is more to how i got to this step but anyways this is where i am.....i am finding the derivative...which is the equation above..but im trying to simplify it...and well i need to extract to something like

F'(x) = [ (X^2 + 1)^-3/2 ] [ (X^2 + 1)^? - (X^2) ]

ok...well thats about as much as i can really do..cause i dont remember the rest....*laughs* ofcourse you know i can find the critcal numbers and increasing and decreasing and inflection points...but uhh i need to get through this step...if for nothing else so i know how to do it when i come across it again...lol..thanks

Last edited:

Claude Raines

First Post
Zakath said:
Ok...its alittle embarassing that im in Calculus and i forgot how to handle fraction exponents...lol
anyways im having trouble trying to remember how factor (actually extract) them out of an equation...here is it...

those of you who have a graphing calculator or know how to work one will understand this equation better...cause thats pretty much how im setting it up...

there is more to how i got to this step but anyways this is where i am.....i am finding the derivative...which is the equation above..but im trying to simplify it...and well i need to extract to something like

ok...well thats about as much as i can really do..cause i dont remember the rest....*laughs* ofcourse you know i can find the critcal numbers and increasing and decreasing and inflection points...but uhh i need to get through this step...if for nothing else so i know how to do it when i come across it again...lol..thanks

F'(x) = [ (X^2 + 1)^-3/2 ] [ (X^2 + 1) - (X^2) ]

which is:

F'(x) = [ (X^2 + 1)^-3/2 ]

oliverhenshaw

First Post
I'm not sure if you've specified where you're going with this, but getting between the two steps you've shown is easy.

x^-n = 1 / x^n

is true where the exponent, n, is a fraction or not.
But I expect you know that.
To see what to do, it's simplest (and saves space for me) to define a convenient variable,

a = (x^2 + 1)^1/2

So your equation can be written

f'(x) = a^-1 - x^2 * a^-3
= a^-3 * (a^2 - x^2)

and you've got no fractions inside the bracket and can put a back in and find things cancelling out like the first person to reply did.

Wish I'd noticed that.

physics_ninja

First Post
Whenever factoring subtract the exponent of the factor from the exponents of the other terms. Note that this will give you a zero exponent in the term that is being factored out. Also, beware of your negative signs, they can screw up even a simple problem.

So in this case we have:

-1/2 - (-3/2) = 2/2 and - 3/2 - (- 3/2) = 0.

Also, you can find a common denominator and subtract the fractions first.

oliverhenshaw

First Post
extra

and from how the first line you've got looks, you might have been better off using the chain rule. Might.

d(uv)/dx = vdu/dx + udv/dx

or, more relevantly,

d(u/v)/dx = 1/v^2 * (vdu/dx - udv/dx)

Or it might help with similar problems.

Zakath

First Post
Basic what i was saying is that where i have that ? mark at....is what i need to know to put there...what exponent would it be and why...because i forgot what it would be.....the original problem i got this derivitive from was

F(x) = (X)/ ( X^2 +1)^1/2
the key board doesnt have a square root sign....so i moved it to a fraction....then before i broke down the problem into a derivative i move the bottom part up by making the exponent negitive...so it came out as
F(x) = (X) ( X^2 + 1) ^-1/2
then i found the derivative.....which is qouted below....

Zakath said:

Claude Raines

First Post
Zakath said:
Basic what i was saying is that where i have that ? mark at....is what i need to know to put there...what exponent would it be and why...because i forgot what it would be.....the original problem i got this derivitive from was

At the question mark the exponent is one (1). When multiplying a^n * a^m = a^(n+m). Thus -3/2 + 1 = -1/2.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads