• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] What degree(s) do you have?

Archangel said:
...(read - thankful my wife kicked my butt until I learned to take my responsibilities seriously)...

Same here, mine's the only reason I went back to school--otherwise I would have stayed a grunt.

They can really be wonderful...ummm...motivators, can't they? ;)

Hey JPL!

Congrats on the JD--I've got one more year to go :)

The Serge

First Post
BA English with undeclared minors in Sociology and Religion.

MEd in College Counseling.

Expect to earn a PhD in English, Religion, or US Culture within the next three years (I don't which one I want yet).

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
Well I haven't posted here in a while, but the topic is really interesting! :)

Moi? I've B.Sc. in Biology (1990, McGill University) and I've 8 years of work experience in Ecotoxicology. This was the best I could do at the time I think with the ecology, evolution and animal behaviour specialization within the degree.

I've also tried my hand at Information Systems Management, but that I can continue at a leisurely pace--the dot-bomb era is not quite over yet.

I don't know what it is like in the U.S., but up in Canada a biology degree won't get a decent job unless you are heavily specialized--and abandon your principles. I am, however, considering returning to school to pursue an MA in the field of astrobiology, which is a very new specialization of the last 10 years or so. Being an amateur astronomer and sci-fi geek it has a certian appeal... Moreso than counting dead fish for the government. At least I won't venture towards work in the pharmaceutical sector--that always makes me think of "Pentax" of Werewolf, the Apocalypse fame. There are few things more evil than litigenous (sp?) lawyers (just teasing the lawyers here): big corporate medicine, and big corporate food. Yeeeck!

So research in the orgins of life here on earth as well as beyond seems much more to my liking. :) With my luck, though, I'll probably end up being tacky cinematographer of cheesy B-grade "atomic horror" movies...

That would bring me "full circle" sorta, wouldn't it?

Great topic ppl! :D

-W

Harlock

First Post
Wow, some of you are really smart. I went to the university for 9 years and changed my major about 7 times and hence never graduated. You really have to try hard to get that many hours in and NOT get a degree. Now if they awarded degrees in things you actually spend the most time on I would have:

A PhD in Star Wars. I've invested (or wasted depending on your opinion) literally thousands upon thouands of hours in reading, writing, roleplaying, web-surfing, collecting and watching this franchise.

A PhD in D&D with a minor in West End games Star Wars RPG and the old Marvel Super Heroes game from TSR. I've been playing RPGs since I was 8. I'm 28 now. Since most of you obviously have some math skill you can figure out how much time that is.

A BS in women. I've been studying them since I was 14. I've been married for 4 years now but I wouldn't presume to actually have advanced past a BS since most of my studying has only left me more perplexed.

And a PhD in laughter. I love to laugh. I joke a lot.

Probably more but I cannot think of much more right now. I've enjoyed all of your posts.

Gadodel

First Post
Degree in Psychology. Tons of Minors. 171 credit hours total.
May go for a Masters Degree someday. Maybe go back and get my teaching certificate too. Hmmm...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads