• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Where to go in the USA?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Storminator said:
Cleveland also has a 90 degree turn on the freeway, the only place in America I've encountered that!

PS

Deadman's Curve can be tricky. I've seen plenty of overturned tractor-tailers there.

Celebrim said:
most of the other things I like in a trip (caving, hiking, canoeing, camping, etc.) you really can't get in Ohio - I know, because I've tried.

Then you didn't try very hard.

Cleveland has its orchestra (world class), the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, the Cleveland Cinematheque, the USS Cod (an intact US fleet submarine from WWII), Tower City, and access to one of the Great Lakes. Plenty of stuff.

Ohio not intriguing...bah...

Hennet

First Post
Verbonc is nice that time of year...

Look at who is posting what and take it all with a grain of salt. If you think that the Grand Canyon would be the highlight of your trip then you might be interested in the Everglades (very south but worth it), Rainbow bridge, etc. Personally, I think the GC is a big hole in the ground; I much prefer something more urban.

Which leads me to point where I suggest that all the "Avoid Atlanta," people can bite me. If you are looking to tour the South your trip cannot be complete without spending time in the Big Peach. I'm not sure what the schedule is but you might be able to catch DragonCon as part of your trip--it's the largest con in the Southeast and one of the largest in the nation, behind but in the same league as Gencon and Origins. It's during the summer so it might work out for you.

The food is great--try Mary Macs in midtown for a taste of the old south (Ladies and Sons in Savannah is also great southern food). Martinis and IMAX is a great gig they do at the Fernbank Museum of Natural History--have cocktails, dinner and dancing under the shadow of a T-Rex then go see an IMAX film.

The Atlanta Botanical Gardens, the history museum, the Margaret Mitchell House (of Gone With The Wind fame) are all worth seeing. There is plenty of hiking and beautiful country to see (let me know if you want specifics).

The High Museum of Art is a nationally acclaimed museum and shows some really cool stuff-- I saw a pop art display that was just great. The CNN tour is pretty interesting and Cyclorama (this funky wrap around 348 ft. dioramma) is an unusual piece of Americana--if you like "Antique Roadshow" you'll probably like the Cyclorama (I thought it was well worth seeing, although it's not a whole day sort of thing).

And, what some other posters seem to miss is, Atlanta has great night life. The people are friendly and the clubs are varied and fun. There is something for whatever your style is. Don't miss it.

Of course, if you don't like big cities and would rather sit in the woods getting tick-bitten and watching dew form, try Celebrim's advice. :) Seriously, you haven't seen the South till you've seen Atlanta.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I gotta make the pitch for Los Angeles. There is so much to see in LA that it can be overwhelming. Hollywood is "new and improved" (for the expected comments that it is wretched, it is nothing like it was even a year ago). Downtown can be lots of fun (be sure to check out the central library and grand central stadium). Get out a map of the world, randomly point at a country, and seek out a restaurant for that country (yes, you will find one, with few exceptions). Then start your drive up the coast by way of Santa Monica and Malibu. (though a jaunt down to San Diego, with maybe a stop in Tiajuana, Mexico, might be fun as well first).

I agree with those who have suggested a drive up Pacific Coast Highway (the 1). This can be a really amazing drive. Oregon and Washington are also pretty amazing, with numerous waterfalls and cave complexes to see.

Flagstaff, Az, is nice. Do not go elsewhere in Arizona at that time of the year however, the weather is just too difficult.

I also agree that everyone should see Las Vegas at least once. It is the most post-modern city I have ever seen in the world.

Last edited:

Re: Verbonc is nice that time of year...

Hennet said:
... etc. Personally, I think the GC is a big hole in the ground; I much prefer something more urban. ...

This reminds me of a trip to Rome I took a few years ago. While standing on hill over loooking the ancient buildings in the Roman Forum on Palantine hill where emperors used to dwell, I overheard the following exchange from one teenage girl to another ( they were about 30 yards from each other - shouting ):

"Hey - whats over there?"

The reply:

"Nothing... Just a buncha rocks!" :p

Celebrim

Legend
Regarding Southern Food. I love it. I'm a southern boy myself.

If you want to get some, you should try lunch at Mary Bobo's in Lynchburg, Tennesse. While it is not particularly expensive, be sure to get reservations several months in advance, especially if visiting on a Holiday. While you are their, tour the Jack Daniel's distillery.

(Speaking of tours, what you should not try to do is tour the Tabasco plant on Avery Island. Basically, Tabasco stopped the real tour 20 years ago when they built their new facilities but have been afraid to admit it publically.)

I also understand that the 'Rattle & Snap' in Mount Pleasant Tennessee is of similar quality. If you eat here you will be dining in one of the finest restored mansions in the south, as well as being of historical interest as a residence of the Polk family (11th President of the US).

drothgery

First Post
Mistwell said:
(though a jaunt down to San Diego, with maybe a stop in Tiajuana, Mexico, might be fun as well first).

I don't notice much of how beautiful San Diego is because I'm a geeky indoors-type, and I haven't had many chances to play tourist since I moved here, but there's definitely a lot worth seeing. Nature-lovers can visit parks, the world-famous San Diego Zoo (really does deserve its reputation), and the Wild Animal Park (haven't been there yet). There's a ton of shopping downtown and in La Jolla (though of course everything's overpriced). ComicCon's not too long before GenCon.

Wormwood

Adventurer
  • the Grand Canyon is awe-inspiring. Sublime is perhaps the only word that does it justice.
  • See the Smithsonian.
  • Arlington Nat'l Cemetery is worth a visit if you're in the DC area.
  • Personally, I enjoyed the Mall of America...but I love consumer culture (YMMV)
  • in a related vein, Orlando is fun as well. Bring your wallet, though.
  • I cannot stress how much fun Las Vegas is. It's almost worth the money.
  • If you're passing through Ohio, swing by Loveland and see if you can spot the infamous "Fish Man"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads