• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Which version of 'TLotR: TFotR' should I show my parents this weekend?

Goodsport

Explorer
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I'll be visiting my parents this weekend, and they have expressed an interest in viewing The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring on DVD.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I have both versions of the film on DVD (the theatrical version released two months ago, and the extended version released last week), but we'll only have time to watch one of the versions.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp My parents have neither read any of Tolkien's books nor have they seen the movie in the theater.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp So which version should I bring over and show them... and why? :confused:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Thanks. :)

-G

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
The extended version. The gift-giving scene didn't make the theatrical release, and I think one gift, at least, will prove to figure prominently later on. (Trying to be vague in case Kai Lord reads this. I don't want to spoil him again.)

Also, in the extended version, you get a bit more character development.

Kamard

First Post
Buttercup said:
I think one gift, at least, will prove to figure prominently later on. (Trying to be vague in case Kai Lord reads this. I don't want to spoil him again.)

Yeah, that rocket launcher sure seemed important when I read the book, I don't know why they cut it from the theatrical version...
:eek:

:D

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
The theatrical version

The extended version is just too long for casual viewers to digest.

Also, be prepared for some confusion in the end, since the movie doesn't have a "proper" ending. That confused the hell out of my dad (age 69) when he saw it.

I don't think the extra bits will give your parents a lot more out of the experience than what they will be getting from the theatrical version, unless they are ardent Tolkien fans.

All IMHO, of course.

Cheers!

M.

Tsyr

Explorer
Bring both. Explain that one is more detailed and makes a bit more sense if you havn't read the book, but it's somewhat longer. Explain that the other one is shorter, but there will be a few parts that won't be terribly clear, and it doesn't have quite the level of background detail. Let them decide.

Tsyr

Explorer
Re: The theatrical version

Maggan said:
The extended version is just too long for casual viewers to digest.

Now, I'm not sure I'd say that... It's too long for people with short attention spans, yes, but if you take a brief intermission (grab lunch) at the spot where the discs switch, it's certainly doable for even the most casual viewer.

Wolfspirit

First Post
I think that "Concerning Hobbits" made a MUCH better introduction to the Hobbits than just plunging into the birthday preparations. If your parents haven't read the books, knowing the defining characteristics of hobbits would probably be a good thing. The gift giving scene was also darn cool.

So, basically, I'd have to reccomend the extended version, just for the increased characterization of people other than Frodo (I mean, come on, half the series was written about characters other than him :b). I really would reccomend a break though, since I'm the only one in my family that can sit through it without having to use the restroom ;)

Gary N. Mengle

First Post
Wolfspirit said:
I think that "Concerning Hobbits" made a MUCH better introduction to the Hobbits than just plunging into the birthday preparations. If your parents haven't read the books, knowing the defining characteristics of hobbits would probably be a good thing. The gift giving scene was also darn cool.

Agreed. But the extended intro also about doubles the length of the beginning scenes and, I think, slows down the beginning of the movie to the point where it'll be harder to get involved in for many people - I think that's why it was cut the way it was (and Peter Jackson agrees, as his commentary illustrates. The message that Hobbits are rustic, peaceful folk is adequately conveyed by the Hobbiton scenes themselves.

So I think that, for non-geeks, the theatrical version is the better cut becuase it flows much faster throughout the film, but especially in the beginning. However, be assured that, having seen the extended cut, I never intend to watch the theatrical version again.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
"Concerning hobbits" didn't work for me; I believe in the "show, don't tell" method, and this violated those precepts.

I'll move this over to the appropriate forum.

Welverin

First Post
Re: The theatrical version

Maggan said:
Also, be prepared for some confusion in the end, since the movie doesn't have a "proper" ending. That confused the hell out of my dad (age 69) when he saw it.

This should be easily avoided by explaining that FotR is only part one of what will be a three part movie.

Remove ads