(OT) Wizards, Sorcerors, and Mages Oh MY!

Stormprince

First Post
Skinwalkers...

Basically, here's a brief summary of what a 'skinwalker' is...

Is the Navajo Skinwalker the same as the white man's werewolf? Yes, if the Navajo witch wears the skin of a wolf. But the Navajo witches can mimic any animal they choose, not just the wolf. They can be a cat, a coyote, a dog, a bear, whatever the Navajo witch wants to be. The Navajo witches pick their skins for the type of job they plan to do. The coyote skin is for high speed, accurate sense of smell, and the acute agility. The bear skin is for brute strength, however the bear is not as fast as the coyote. Along with their new abilities, the Navajo Skinwalkers still retain their full mental capacities. If the Navajo witch is a fairly or highly intelligent person, when he or she changes into a Skinwalker they carry that intelligence with them and you have a very dangerous opponent. Unlike the wolf man, the Skinwalker will use their whole bag of tricks - mind control, disease, and immobilization powder.

- from Navajo Skinwalkers

I always really liked this particular 'legend'...puts a whole new twist on 'Wyld Shape' ;)

- Christopher

rounser

First Post
I recall Gary Gygax's Gord the Rogue books referred to 'dweomercraefters' several times.

Yeah, but the pronounciation?

AFAIK, dweomer is pronounced "dway-mer". The problem is with the "craefter" bit - not sure whether it should be pronounced the same as the word crafter or not. It could possibly be "dway-mer-crayf-ter", which would justify the 'e' in there.

Harlequin

First Post

"Bilbo Baggins! Do not take me for some conjurer of cheap tricks! I am not trying to rob you. I’m trying to help you. "

Gandalf the Grey :)

Fidget

First Post
William Ronald said:
I am surprised no one listed thaumaturge.

I have always liked this one. I remember a Wormy comic strip Irving the imp meets a centauress in a very cold place said,

"You must be a thaumaturge."
"Great, I'll thaw yours, you thaw mine."

Remove ads