• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] WotC loses Pokemon license

Krug

Newshound
I guess the main reason it matters is because the Pokemon license was one of the reasons Hasbro acquired WotC. Still, it was definitely a game at the end of its popularity.

Angcuru

First Post
dammit i was hoping they had lost the rights to Pokemon.

As a REAL gamer, I just can't stand those who play that card games. Especially since a gaming group of mine used to game at the WOtC Stores back when they still had tables in the back. I can't BEGIN to tell you how distracting it was to hear "MY Psyduck is more powerful than yours!!(wuss-fight ensues)" in the middle of a gaming session.

Then again it was probably disturbing for the kids to hear the odd DM's description of the horrible ways in which some of the PCs died.

E.X. O.K. You plunge the dagger into your chest (he was playing a Curst and was told stabbing himself in the heart with this dagger would give him all the knowledge in the universe). Suddenly your intestines burst out of your abdomen and wrap themselves around your neck. Your stagnant blood boils in your dead veins, and you feel immense burning pain in your balls. Your internal organs explode one by one, showering those nearby with your blood and other bodily fluids, while your body slowy decays into nothingness and your soul is devoured by the god of pain, suffering, and mountain dew.

Sagan Darkside

First Post
Krug said:
I guess the main reason it matters is because the Pokemon license was one of the reasons Hasbro acquired WotC. Still, it was definitely a game at the end of its popularity.

I had the same though as you about the license issue- this could have ramifications.

I am not sure about its popularity. It seemed to still sell rather well at my lgs. There were always kids there playing it.

SD

Angcuru said:
As a REAL gamer, I just can't stand those who play that card games.

That is extremely rude and very insulting. I have played the Decipher Star Wars CCG since its release way back in '95, and CONTINUE to play to this day, despite the fact that WotC has the license. Why? Because it is a good game. I have DMed and played in RPGs for even longer, but since I play a CCG, you're better than me? I'm sorry, but that is just something I can't stand to see. Arrogance is not a good thing.

Remove ads