• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] WotC loses Pokemon license

Impeesa

Explorer
Sad... I never played Pokémon, but I did play a lot of Magic back in the day (still drag them out on occasion). CCGs are a great form of gaming. Pokémon didn't get a lot of the respect it deserved - all the knockoffs blow (from Digimon right on down to Yu-Gi-Oh), but Pokémon made no pretense about what it was and had a certain charm to it. That, and little kids are much more likely to bite for the Pokémon bait at a young age, before they can ever handle dice. ;)

--Impeesa--

KenM

Banned
Banned
From what I understand, Pokemon was one of the main reason Hasbro aquired Wizards, it was a big money maker for them, going to be interesting to see what happens with this.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
So they can't make new pokemon cards, but WotC still holds the rights to a Pokemon CCG and can continue to reprint old ones?

William Ronald

Explorer
I am concerned with the bottomline for Hasbro. The CCG division pulls in more money than RPGs, as I understand.

So, I don't know how this will impact WotC. Hopefully, this will not have a big impact on the company. (Last year was a very bad year for Wizards of the Coast.)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Alzrius said:
So they can't make new pokemon cards, but WotC still holds the rights to a Pokemon CCG and can continue to reprint old ones?

No, I doubt it.

Just look at the old Star Wars CCG - Decipher can no longer make or sell cards for it.

Cheers!

mistergone said:
Also, does it bother anyone else that WotC refers to Magic and some of it's other cards games as "lifestyle" games?

Eh? What do you mean?

I do have a friend, Brian Kibler, who goes to my college, that was at one point the top-ranked Magic player in the world, and he still makes a professional living off the game, pulling in about $20K a year from it, if I recall. Not bad pay for just gaming. Another reason I espouse the Bugaboo DM's Network, since money will make DMs put on better shows.

Moe Ronalds

First Post
Angcuru said:
I can't BEGIN to tell you how distracting it was to hear "MY Psyduck is more powerful than yours!!(wuss-fight ensues)" in the middle of a gaming session.

Is it really fair to call a gaggle of 6 and 7 year olds wusses?

As for the rest of the thread....

I remember a few years back when I used to play pokemon. My sister broke one of my gameboys, and she lost my other one, so I haven't been able to play. Recently at a friend's party though we dragged out his old Pokemon stadium game, and I must say I still am THE pokemon master. (Laughs as he remembers his foolish opponent using dragon rage on his chancey. but his idiocy spelled his DOOM;))

Remove ads