• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Other forms of treasure

jcbdragon

First Post
Everybody loves opening the chest and seeing that big pile of coins, gemstones, etc.

But in a lot of medieval settings, that wasn't how business transactions were done, which means that wasn't necessarily what the BigBad got when he looted the poor hapless victims.

When was the last time your players remembered the non-equipment portions of the treasure they got on an adventure?

Instead of putting coins or gems in that chest, put something like a packet of documents for such things as

5 loads of prime lumber from Lord So-and-so
3 bales of wool from the guild in SomeCity
6 months of services from the stonemason's guild in OtherCity
12 head of (cattle, oxen, goats, etc) from the nomadic tribe living on the nearby plains

You get the idea.

At first they'll probably gripe and moan, but depending on what things you put in there, you *could* be setting them up with the materials they'd need to set up a new stronghold for themselves -- if they recognize the possibilities.

And I'll guarantee you, it will be a treasure they'll remember!

Sekhmet

First Post
I also use promissory notes for the majority of loot from higher level treasures. On one hand, it reduces the amount of magic in my campaign world (which is necessary), and on the other, it helps to set up a base of operations where my players can stash loot, hirelings, armies, gear, etc.
I find it more fulfilling for players who think into the future than for players that think in the present.

HoboGod

First Post
That sounds like a TERRIBLE idea. I think my players would literally crucify me. They would erect a wooden cross or, more likely, tie me to a large tree and let me sit there until I awarded them treasure based on a fixed-rate, movable currency system. The only way that would fly is if the local town would immediately procure this bounty of realistic goods for the coins and gems they've come to live by.

Thurbane

First Post
I like when dungeon fixtures are treasure...we recently did an adventure where the dungeon had several large sets of double doors made of copper. Copper = 1gp/2 lbs, so to low level adventures, that's decent loot. :p

Zireael

Explorer
Well, if you're playing in a medieval setting, like in those books I forgot the title of (something along the lines of "Medieval Europe: A City"), the idea is fine.

Also, in most quasi-medieval fantasy settings the idea of resources being valued as treasure also works. Not sure about the masonry services, though.

About resources: you can make them anything that is highly valued in your setting. If I were a drow, I'd put lots of salt and other surface-derived goods. Or slaves. On surface, Underdark fungi and mithril would also fetch good prices.

Crothian

First Post
This type of thing works great in certain campaigns. Unfortunately there are some none fun players that don't care for this kind of treasure.

I've had players find,coffee, tomatoes, and other perishable goods. Sometimes they just eat the food other times they take the time to try to sell it. The best was with the coffee which was a very rare commodity in the city they were in. They used the coffee as a bribe for a noble and that worked great.

Li Shenron

Legend
Everybody loves opening the chest and seeing that big pile of coins, gemstones, etc.

But in a lot of medieval settings, that wasn't how business transactions were done, which means that wasn't necessarily what the BigBad got when he looted the poor hapless victims.

When was the last time your players remembered the non-equipment portions of the treasure they got on an adventure?

Instead of putting coins or gems in that chest, put something like a packet of documents for such things as

5 loads of prime lumber from Lord So-and-so
3 bales of wool from the guild in SomeCity
6 months of services from the stonemason's guild in OtherCity
12 head of (cattle, oxen, goats, etc) from the nomadic tribe living on the nearby plains

You get the idea.

At first they'll probably gripe and moan, but depending on what things you put in there, you *could* be setting them up with the materials they'd need to set up a new stronghold for themselves -- if they recognize the possibilities.

And I'll guarantee you, it will be a treasure they'll remember!

I like the idea of unorthodox treasure + I like the idea of the PC thinking about investing their money in something else than adventuring equipment.

The problem is that 3ed is designed to be dependent on (magic) equipment :-S So every PC spending/investing treasure on something else is giving up some straightforward adventuring power.

I would really like a rules system or settings where after a certain level the PCs are largely unconcerned with money in terms of adventuring/combat power, because money cannot bring any better magic items than they already have. Thus, they can choose to use whatever treasure they find for something else: the interested player can look forward to building a keep or castle, invest in a merchant business, or obtain cultivable lands, while the uninterested player could just spend it all on mundane stuff and wellbeing. After all, a real character would be more likely to turn treasure into wealth, not always into equipment that grants more treasure that grants more equipment... Unfortunately that's what happens if there is no limit in the magic equipment available for purchase, so that every PC works a bit like an Uncle Scrooge (eating scraps of foods because all the money he makes goes into making even more money).

Meatboy

First Post
My players tend towards being pack rats. Regardless of my intent they will grab anything that looks even remotely valuable to sell later. No need to get them started on the path to a stronghold either. As soon as the first dungeon is cleared they talk about shoring up the walls, clearing out the dead bodies and getting hirelings. They have a bad tendency of not always freeing slaves either...

kinda depends on the treasure locale... if it's a long lost and buried dungeon, then anything outside of standard coinage/jewelry may not work. If it's the lair of something like bandits, then you can toss in stuff like ivory, spices, furs, etc. I did that a lot back in my DM days...

jcbdragon

First Post
I like when dungeon fixtures are treasure...we recently did an adventure where the dungeon had several large sets of double doors made of copper. Copper = 1gp/2 lbs, so to low level adventures, that's decent loot. :p

We had one adventure where the DM had taken the time to write descriptions of all the fancy furnishings, etc. She was very surprised (and a little non-plussed) when the party started hauling out the furniture!

Remove ads