• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General other possible elements?

ilgatto

How inconvenient
I am bored of the four elements but I have all the inspiration of a brick and do not want to make the elemental planes of the periodic table regardless of how entertaining it would be.

does anyone know any other options that could add on to water, rock, air and fire that would be great both from old myths and more modern tales?

Well, there's always this (and more) in The Dragon 27 (1979):

elem.jpg

Boring? Perhaps.
Off the wall? Certainly.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
My personal favorite element system, from the webserial Beneath the Dragoneye Moons:

8 base elements: fire, earth, wind, water, wood, metal, light, dark. 36 composite elements, from the combination of the 8 basic elements.

List is here:

Yaarel

He Mage
I like the mystic elements, including Hellenistic states of matter and Daoist motions of matter.

Even here, I count eight elements.

Darkness (empty space, negative void) (≈ Dao Soil, Space)
Light (energy, positive energy, consciousness)
Ether (forces, including gravity, electromagnetic, atomic, plus telekinesis)
Fire (plasma)
Air (gas) (≈ Dao Tree, Wind)
Water (liquid)
Earth (solid) (≈ Dao Metal, Crystal)
Tree (combining the four into a living, expanding, element)

Tree can be understood as its own element, a special combination of "the four" elements, or an aspect of Air, or an aspect of Earth.

For D&D purposes, I split the "electromagnetic" forces of ether, between "Fire" with Light and Radiant, and "Air" with Lightning and Thunder.

The Acid damage type is weird, but ultimately I decided it is part of the "Elemental Chaos" and represents an unstable primordial aspect of "Earth". There are a number of Evocation spells that are multi-elemental (Chromatic Orb, Prismatic Spray, etcetera), and I group all of these as "primordial" and corresponding to the Elemental Chaos, rather than any of the four elemental planes.

The Ethereal Plane is the "Fifth Elemental Plane".

The 5e Transmutation groups together themes of Earth, Plant, and Beast, plus shapeshifting and fabricating objects, which works well enough as aspects of "Earth".

Last edited:

Remove ads